PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
fgandola (Offline)

Smile Traveling to Orlando - 06-06-2013, 11:59

Hi guys,
i am traveling with girl friend to Orlando for work and vacation (i will work and she is on vacation) for about 10 days.
I was planning to buy each of us a pre-paid card to stick in my Iphone5 and her HTC so we could stay in touch.
I either need illimited SMS or decent voice time and ideally internet access (email, facebook, instant messaging...)
I am not that bright and after checking the offers of AT&T and TMobile, i am not sure what is best. AT&T seems to have expensive activation fees.
I was thinking using Sidekick Prepaid (For US$ 1.00 per day you get unlimited email, web browsing, instant messaging and text messaging.
Calls are billed at US $0.15/minute.)
DO i really only have to pay 1$ a day + voice calls ? what are the extra cost ?

Secondly, from France my daughter has a package she can call USA mobile for free... does it work if she calls me on my pre paid card ? do i have to pay 0.15 per min when she calls me ?

Thx a lot for your help.

Old
  (#2)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 03-07-2013, 02:23

I'm surprised no one has answered this. There are a couple of MVNOs you might want to consider. You might consider getting a SIM from StraightTalk then activating their unlimited calling, text & data plan for $45/month. The data is not actually unlimited but rather is about 2GB/month. So, it's best to use WiFi whenever possible. AirVoice has similar offerings. Both of these plans are month-long service, not prorated. StraightTalk also has an international calling credit top-up you add. Only real down-side is that you may have to pre-order the SIM to your first address as they are not always carried in stores (Walmart).

Calls made to a mobile phone in the US are charged identically to calls made to a landline.

Old
  (#3)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 16-07-2013, 01:11

If you are a light user, Lycamobile.us has some good plans with intenrational texting options and cheap calls back to France. The problem is that you will need to preorder the SIMs.

When are you coming to the US?

Old
  (#4)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 16-07-2013, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgandola View Post
Secondly, from France my daughter has a package she can call USA mobile for free... does it work if she calls me on my pre paid card ? do i have to pay 0.15 per min when she calls me ?
Yes, in the US you also pay to receive calls, though the rate depends on the prepaid carrier.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell