PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
rseffner (Offline)

Question Mobile data in Mexico and Guatemala with prepaid - 20-02-2010, 13:41

Hi,

in 10 days I'll start a 5 week trip to mentioned countries but I need connection using my android phone to my office. So I need a solution supporting GPRS or better with a payable price.

I read here a bit and it seems telcel seems to work for me in mexico by fix prices in any region for using gprs. But I found nothing equal for Guatemala here. Perhaps I should by a worldwide solution? But which?

I only have to check my mail every about three days and have to do some SSH related work at unix servers so internet cafes are not welcome for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards
Ronny

Old
  (#2)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 20-02-2010, 14:23

I don't know if this helps, but when I was in Mexico recently, I was surprised how much I ended up using free wifi connections, rather than having to use any network based data access. Though I did end up in quite touristy places, even the smallest cheapest hotels even in small towns had decent fast wifi, as did many restaurants and cafes. e.g. as far as I know, all the inexpensive VIPs chain of restaurants have WiFI, and they are in hundreds of places all over the country: See VIPS. Mostly WiFI was locked and often provided by a bigger company like Telefonica, but I was always given a key when I asked for it after ordering a drink or food. Also I often picked up open "free" wifi in many street locations. (obviously less secure...)

Perhaps touristy areas of Guatemala are the same? I would think so. They are very similar countries.

Tags
data, gprs, guatemala, mexico, mobile