PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default Vodafone Germany: CallYa International - 25-07-2010, 17:00

At long last Vodafone is offering low international rates with the new CallYa International tariff. It's similar to the previous Mobi offer, except that it also includes low rates to advanced countries, not just developing or dead-in-the-water ones. For example, 4 cents to China and Poland landline, 5 to the USA, 8 to France and the UK (though 29 cents to mobiles isn't anything exciting), 17 cents to Polish mobiles. Unfortunately, it has a 1.99 monthly charge, but otherwise is the same as CallYa 5/15 (and likewise seems to have 60/60 billing). This also means it has Voda's stupid 45 cents/5 minutes billing for any data usage.

http://www.prepaid-wiki.de/images/Vo...ernational.pdf

I would also point out that this is a tariff, and not a tariff option, so the user's ability to switch into and out of it on a need basis is limited, as you can only switch tariffs 10 times before they start to charge.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#2)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-07-2010, 12:25

This is great news! I just switched to Vodfone from Blau for better data service but was going to hang on to the Blau card for inexpensive calls from Germany to the US.

Is it possible to combine the international calling plan with CallYa Open Ended Internet or does it have to be on of the Web Sessions?

Old
  (#3)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 30-07-2010, 13:21

According to this tariff info with CallYa International you can subscribe to any CallYa option ("Optionen: Zu CallYa International sind alle CallYa Optionen zubuchbar"). But "CallYa OpenEnd Internet" is NOT a tariff option, but an alternative tariff. So you can't combine CallYa International's call rates with the data rate from CallYa OpenEnd Internet.
Actually there's an option called "CallYa MobileInternet Flat" offering data for € 0.99/day, € 4.95/week or € 14.95/month even for CallYa International, which is even cheaper than "CallYa OpenEnd Internet", but except for WebSessions all CallYa data options are restricted to mere web access. So you can not use eMail or any other service except for webpages opened with your phone's browser.
If you want full internet access including eMail service, you'll have to rely to WebSessions.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#4)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-07-2010, 14:26

Inquisitor, Thank you so much for all of your help. I have learned so much from you in the last couple of months! Vodaphone.de on my soon-to-arrive Nokia E71 should give me very effective service.

Just to review, my best option will be CallYa International combined with WebSessions 24 h (limited to 1GB) for € 3.95. I definitely want full internet access including eMail service.

Old
  (#5)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 30-07-2010, 14:32

You're welcome.

Correct. Depending on how long you'll be staying in Germany, the weekly flatrate for € 12.95/7 days might be a cheaper alternative. By handset usage you will never ever exceed that 1 GB within a week.
Remember to create a new data connection profile for WebSessions with "event.vodafone.de" as APN.
Details on WebSessions are available at Germany - Vodafone Web Sessions - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#6)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-07-2010, 16:45

I knew it was too good to be true! I am told that WebSessions "can only be used when you use your mobile phone as a Modem and you will surf with a net- or notebook. Only the tariff Callya open end Internet will offer you the full surf possibilities via your phone." So this takes me back to how do I get my e-mail?

Would T-Mobile's Xtra web'n'walk DayFlat be a better, more comprehensive data options which would include e-mail?

Last edited by lizzie1955; 30-07-2010 at 17:44.. Reason: added question

Old
  (#7)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 30-07-2010, 17:48

WebSessions do definitely work flawlessly on handsets, too. I've successfully tried it just a week ago and you'll have access to eMail, too.
It's just that after connecting you'll be automatically forwarded to Vodafone's landing page, where you can chose the duration of your session and this landing page is designed for computers - so as it won't fit in your phone's screen you'll have to scroll around a bit in order to see the whole page.

Old
  (#8)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 30-07-2010, 18:23

Thank you!!!!!

Old
  (#9)
lizzie1955 (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Yet Another Question - 31-07-2010, 23:16

I don't understand enough about all this to know why (with Vodafone) I could only get e-mail with WebSessions.

If I opted for the Fonic card instead would this also be the case? Would I be able to surf the web but not get e-mail?

Just when I think I have this all understood something else comes up that confuses me.

Thanks!

Old
  (#10)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 01-08-2010, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie1955 View Post
I don't understand enough about all this to know why (with Vodafone) I could only get e-mail with WebSessions.
Except for WebSessions all other data options of Vodafone require a proxy-server being used, through which all data traffic must pass. Since Vodafone want to charge more for full internet access, they have blocked any service except for mere web browsing on that proxy-server. So if you want full internet access including eMail you are forced to subscribe to the more expensive WebSessions.

Quote:
If I opted for the Fonic card instead would this also be the case? Would I be able to surf the web but not get e-mail?
No, in contrast to Vodafone Fonic offer unrestricted internet access for all their data options. That's the case for their "Internet-Tagesflatrate" (daily flatrate for € 2.50) as well as for their "Handy-Internet-Paket" (montly flatrate for € 9.95).
If you want to use the daily flatrate you need to contact customer care and ask them explicitly to switch your data tariff to the "Internet-Tagesflatrate" since by default Fonic charge data volume-based with € 0.24 per megabyte.
If you chose the monthly flatrate just send a text message containing START HANDYINTERNET from your handset to 36642. Since the monthly flatrate is automatically recurring (as far as enough credit is left to cover the cost of € 9.95) you might want to cancel your subscription at some time by sending STOPP HANDYINTERNET 36642.

Last edited by inquisitor; 01-08-2010 at 10:18..