PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Lightbulb Mobile Numbering Plan United Kindgom - 14-01-2009, 13:03

Do you have a COMPLETE list for the UK's mobile numbering plan?

It's really difficoult for me to understand the mobile network from the prefix: I found that on Wikipedia: Telephone numbers in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Individual mobile phone companies are allocated different ranges within the 075xx, 077xx, 078xx and 079xx area codes. Changes to mobile numbers were mostly straight replacements, such as Vodafone customers on the 0378 block became 07778.
<table class="wikitable" style="width: auto; margin-left: 1.5em;"><tbody><tr> <th scope="row">070xx xxxxxx</th> <td>Personal Numbering</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">075xx xxxxxx</th> <td>Mobile phones (new number range in use 2007-May onwards)</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">076xx xxxxxx</th> <td>Pagers (excluding 07624, used for mobile telephones on the Isle of Man)</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">077xx xxxxxx</th> <td>Mobile phones (former 03xx and 04xx — mostly Vodafone and O2 (formerly Cellnet)</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">078xx xxxxxx</th> <td>Mobile phones (former 05xx, 06xx and 08xx — mostly Vodafone and O2 (formerly Cellnet)</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">079xx xxxxxx</th> <td>Mobile phones (former 09xx — mostly Orange and T-Mobile (formerly one2one)</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">079112 xxxxx
079118 xxxxx</th> <td>WiFi numbers (used by companies such as Tovo and Mobiboo)</td></tr></tbody></table>
That's not so clear! For example my O2's number is an ex Virgin Mobile 07941.xxx.xxx that's so close to UM+ number 07937.xxx.xxx

So can you help me to understand what is IoM, Jersey and mainland?

I found the list on International Numbering Plans but i don't want to read 5500 pages

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Last edited by AndreA; 14-01-2009 at 13:08..

Old
  (#2)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Arrow Crown dependencies - 14-01-2009, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA View Post
It's really difficoult for me to understand the mobile network from the prefix: I found that on Wikipedia: Telephone numbers in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's not so clear! For example my O2's number is an ex Virgin Mobile 07941.xxx.xxx that's so close to UM+ number 07937.xxx.xxx
Ops :P I read below the mobile list...

Crown dependencies

• Guernsey, Alderney, Sark
<table class="wikitable" style="width: auto; margin-left: 1.5em;"> <tbody><tr> <th scope="row">01481</th> <td>Fixed line</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">01481 832 to 01481 833</th> <td>Fixed line (Sark)</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">07781</th> <td>Sure mobile phones and pagers</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">07911</th> <td>Wave Telecom mobile phones</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">07839</th> <td>Airtel Vodafone mobile phones</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
  • Jersey
<table class="wikitable" style="width: auto; margin-left: 1.5em;"> <tbody><tr> <th scope="row">01534</th> <td>Fixed line</td> <td>53 = JE</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">07797
</th> <td>Jersey Telecom mobile phones and pagers</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">07700</th> <td>Sure mobile network</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
  • Isle of Man
<table class="wikitable" style="width: auto; margin-left: 1.5em;"> <tbody><tr> <th scope="row">01624</th> <td>Fixed line</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">07624</th> <td>Mobile phones and paging services</td> </tr> <tr> <th scope="row">07924</th> <td>Mobile phones additional capacity
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

On the Isle of Man, both fixed and mobile phone numbers can be dialled locally in the six-digit format.
Although calls from UK landlines to landlines in the islands are charged at the same rate as those to other UK landlines (i.e. they are not treated as international calls), calls may be excluded from calling plans offering unlimited UK fixed line calls, and some mobile operators may also charge more. Calls and SMS messages sent to island mobile numbers are not charged at the same rate as calls to UK mobile numbers

My Phones:
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 14-01-2009, 16:39

An extra first digit was added to UK phone numbers since the initial arrival of mobile phones, which now all start with 07. Before that there were no banded allocations so unused exchange codes were used. Hence some of the Wiki comments about renumbering ... [originally most landlines were alphabetically derived, such as the JE 0534, now with 1 added]

It's more complicated than your second post, and sometimes the next digit is required, for example 077000 is on the network Wire9, not in Jersey, and the 07911x isn't completely for Guernsey. And others are 075092 Jersey Telecom (used by Sim4travel) and 078297 Airtel Vodafone in Jersey

There are plenty of other 07 number ranges sub-divided and used for non-main networks, including allocations which might be for wi-fi use such as 079788 Truphone or the use is either ambiguous or defunct. Some have or had callthrough providers which the main networks have been in dispute with.

There is a huge Excel file on the Ofcom website, which always takes me a while to find, as I forget to add it to browser Favourites. n.b. 070 aren't mobile numbers, and you need the A and B column for the so-called SABC + D/DE of the first few digits

... but the easiest way to check quickly is to enter the prefix on this site - if it says (Insufficient digits or no match) then put the next digit as well - Online CodeLook

Another which tends to be sometimes a bit less up to date
UK Telephone Code Locator - Telephone Codes, STD Codes

But those only give the original network's allocation range, and take no account of porting of individual numbers.

Why it ended up as haphazard as this, I suspect nobody knows ...

And

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreA View Post
Calls and SMS messages sent to island mobile numbers are not charged at the same rate as calls to UK mobile numbers
UK landlines may have slightly differing tariffs to island landlines and mobiles. Most cheap calls providers make no distinction.

And main UK mobile networks may or may not include Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man mobiles in their inclusive minutes. So if you're visiting with a roaming SIM it may cost UK friends a lot to ring you up. At the moment O2 Orange and Virgin seem to include most or all, T-mobile Vodafone and 3 exclude. Other mvno's probably vary. But this could change (O2 did), so it is worth checking

Last edited by andy; 14-01-2009 at 17:49..

Old
  (#4)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 14-01-2009, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post

It's more complicated than your second post, and sometimes the next digit is required, for example 077000 is on the network Wire9, not in Jersey, and the 07911x isn't completely for Guernsey. And others are 075092 Jersey Telecom (used by Sim4travel) and 078297 Airtel Vodafone in Jersey

There are plenty of other 07 number ranges sub-divided and used for non-main networks, including allocations which might be for wi-fi use such as 079788 Truphone or the use is either ambiguous or defunct. Some have or had callthrough providers which the main networks have been in dispute with.
Well, I understood... but I think that your system is literally crazy

I can't imagine how to reorder that...

Quote:
There is a huge Excel file on the Ofcom website, which always takes me a while to find, as I forget to add it to browser Favourites. n.b. 070 aren't mobile numbers, and you need the A and B column for the so-called SABC + D/DE of the first few digits
Great! I was looking for a similar file
Well, a question: why Ofcom is listing Crown dependencies?
Every dependency has an own regulator, am I wrong? Or what else?
It's really hard to understand UK's TLC laws...

My Phones:

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#5)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 14-01-2009, 22:47

Those places do have their own regulators, but the phone number allocations are all disorganised by Ofcom.

If you think that's bad you could really bore yourself to death finding out about non-geographic landline numbers here.

Tags
crown dependencies, mobile numbering plan, ofcom, united kingdom