PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
cameronjpu (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Help! I'm in the USA helping someone in Spain with Vodafone and iPhone - 05-10-2010, 02:16

My friend is over in Spain right now and can't really communicate to figure this stuff out. She is using my liberated iPhone, which I have used in other countries besides the USA. She is able to make phone calls, but no data works, and no one can help her figure out why.

I found a page linked from this forum that gives the following information:

Quote:
Week, 2 Week and Month Tariffs

Looking at this page, there is also an option to surf for a week (19 euros), 15 days (29 euros) or a month (49 euros). After 1 GB, your speed drops to 128 kps. Activate by SMSing C SEM, C QUI, C MES, respectively, to 2207. Activation is instant, no waiting period.

Misc Info:

* APN: airtelnet.es
* Username: vodafone
* Password: vodafone
From the information above, what I'm led to believe is that she needs to make sure she has 20 euros of credit on her SIM and text "C SEM" to 2207. Is this correct? That will give her a week of usage, but only 250 MB. I'd love to have more.

She was told when buying the SIM, and my previous research indicated, that she should be able to get data for 50 cents per day or 3 euros per week. That seems to contradict the information above.

Before I stumbled on the quoted information above, my thought was that I just needed to input the APN (airtelnet.es) and the vodafone/vodafone username and password to get her on that plan. Does anyone have a thought about that?

She will be waking up tomorrow morning and I'd love to have something to tell her to get her online. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old
  (#2)
cameronjpu (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 07-10-2010, 23:29

OK... no answers Boo... well now my friend is home, having failed at getting the iPhone online with Vodafone. Now I realize maybe it would have been smart to point her to Movistar, since they actually sell the iPhone over there, so they would be more likely to be helpful.

My parents are going to spain in just two more days, so I still have the same need for a solution if possible.

I'd still love it hear someone, anyone, who has gotten a prepaid iPhone to work on Vodafone spain. Thanks!

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 08-10-2010, 09:34

Hi. Personally I have not set up an iPhone on Vodafone over here, but can't really see why it would be any different from other phones. Make sure you put the 2 DNS's in as well.

Primary DNS: 212.73.32.3
Secondary DNS: 212.73.32.67

Also, as you have already mentioned the APN is airtelnet.es, but verify that the username and password are all lower case "vodafone".

The Vodafone data plan on prepaid (called Tarjeta here) is very poor value for money. Generally, they are possibly the worst network in Spain in terms of offers, customer service and customer retention. If you can, try and pick up another prepaid sim from one of the MVNO's here. (e.g. Blau, MasMovil, Yoigo, Simyo etc.). You are probably best off going to a branch of "The Phone House" and getting advice, a SIM and having your phone set up by their staff.

On Vodafone, the 50c/day that your friend was quoted is correct, but also you need to sign up for a minimum of 7 days. To set it up send a SMS with the word TPTARJETA to 22521. it gives you unlimited access via their pathetic WAP portal, and a miserly 20 MB/day of general Web access. See:
Internet en el móvil Tarifa Plana diaria

Old
  (#4)
cameronjpu (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 09-10-2010, 02:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
Hi. Personally I have not set up an iPhone on Vodafone over here, but can't really see why it would be any different from other phones. Make sure you put the 2 DNS's in as well.

Primary DNS: 212.73.32.3
Secondary DNS: 212.73.32.67

Also, as you have already mentioned the APN is airtelnet.es, but verify that the username and password are all lower case "vodafone".

The Vodafone data plan on prepaid (called Tarjeta here) is very poor value for money. Generally, they are possibly the worst network in Spain in terms of offers, customer service and customer retention. If you can, try and pick up another prepaid sim from one of the MVNO's here. (e.g. Blau, MasMovil, Yoigo, Simyo etc.). You are probably best off going to a branch of "The Phone House" and getting advice, a SIM and having your phone set up by their staff.

On Vodafone, the 50c/day that your friend was quoted is correct, but also you need to sign up for a minimum of 7 days. To set it up send a SMS with the word TPTARJETA to 22521. it gives you unlimited access via their pathetic WAP portal, and a miserly 20 MB/day of general Web access. See:
Internet en el móvil Tarifa Plana diaria
Many thanks! I thought the information I had said that you got much more data than that with Vodafone - in fact I picked it out after doing what comparison I could among all of them! 50 cents a day is plenty and 7 days is fine, but 20 MB is poor. So that won't do. But to learn that you can go to a retailer that will get it all working is the best news of all. What are the odds of finding someone there who speaks good english and is comfortable working with a hacked iPhone? Not that that makes it any different than any other iPhone, but when I was in London, after the first try didnt work the lazy staff said "well it is unlocked, which can break some functions".

So I think i'll tell my parents just to do that - find "The Phone House" and let them make it work. Thanks!

PS - this is the page where I found the information I did about Vodafone: http://paygsimwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Spain#Vodafone Is it wrong?

Old
  (#5)
f300 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-03-2012, 14:40

Resurecting this old thread...
I plan to use this "Tarifa Plana de Internet móvil para Tarjeta: unlimited surfing for € 3.50/week (€ 0.50 per day); to activate write TPTarjeta to 22521"
A few questions:
1. is the APN airtelnet.es?
2. any way to check option is in fact active? In fact how do you check your credit on vodafone.es?
3. how to deactivate the option, or there's no need to deactivate (I mean does it renew every week taking your money even if you don't use the card at all or you need to first access the internet and then you'll have it for one week?)