PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default Current Nokia Symbian phones? - 08-06-2012, 13:01

Does anyone have a current (recent) Nokia Symbian phone. I'm considering getting an E6 or E7 to replace my old E61 but would like to ask a couple questions. Primarily, is the VOIP client better at transiting NAT boundaries than the original Symbian VOIP client? I asked this question on HoFo and no one responded.

Old
  (#2)
TH3ORY (Offline)

Default 12-06-2012, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
Does anyone have a current (recent) Nokia Symbian phone. I'm considering getting an E6 or E7 to replace my old E61 but would like to ask a couple questions. Primarily, is the VOIP client better at transiting NAT boundaries than the original Symbian VOIP client? I asked this question on HoFo and no one responded.
Dude Nokia is dead they dont make any good phones any more its all about Apple Samsung Htc & Motorola these days dude dont waste you money on Nokia get an Android smartphone and trust me you will never look back

Old
  (#3)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 12-06-2012, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3ORY View Post
Dude Nokia is dead they dont make any good phones any more its all about Apple Samsung Htc & Motorola these days dude dont waste you money on Nokia get an Android smartphone and trust me you will never look back
We have one Motorola Android phone. It has to stay plugged into the charger constantly and won't run J2ME applications.

Old
  (#4)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 12-06-2012, 16:56

I agree. Androids just chew battery like thee is no tomorrow. On my 4.3 inch screen HTC inspire, the screen uses the most % of the battery.

I have a Nokia E63 and the voip client works well and is well integrated. Don't know about the technical details you asked....sorry.

Quote:
We have one Motorola Android phone. It has to stay plugged into the charger constantly and won't run J2ME applications.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#5)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 12-06-2012, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
I have a Nokia E63 and the voip client works well and is well integrated. Don't know about the technical details you asked....sorry.
The primary problem with the original E61 VOIP client is that it didn't know how to get out from behind a router, where the router assigns a local (e.g. 192.168.X.X) rather than a global IP address. This means that it was just about useless in many situations. I've tried some other VOIP clients and have not been able to get them to install on the E61.

I'm looking for a phone that is quad-band GSM with at least UMTS Bands I, II, IV & V (2100, 1900, AWS & 850). I'm not thrilled with touch screens and prefer having a keyboard. I don't need to play Angry Birds and don't really want to have Apple or Google watching over my shoulder 24/7. The E6 or E7 seem to meet all my requirements and I'm familiar with Symbian. If someone knows of something better and cheaper I'm happy to listen to suggestions.

Old
  (#6)
TH3ORY (Offline)

Default 13-06-2012, 20:17

Quote:
Have you ever tried rooting it ??? it makes so much difference on the battery life ???

Old
  (#7)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 20-06-2012, 13:04

I'm also thinking about the Dell Venue Pro Windows 7 phone. One problem is that it seems almost impossible to get reliable information about this phone. No one seems even to be able to agree on what UMTS bands it has. How are Windows phones as communications tools. Do they tend to be terribly crippled by vendor customizations?

Old
  (#8)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 20-06-2012, 14:12

I tend to believe GSMArena when it comes to phone specs.

Dell Venue Pro - Full phone specifications

Quote:
I'm also thinking about the Dell Venue Pro Windows 7 phone. One problem is that it seems almost impossible to get reliable information about this phone. No one seems even to be able to agree on what UMTS bands it has. How are Windows phones as communications tools. Do they tend to be terribly crippled by vendor customizations?

Old
  (#9)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 21-06-2012, 00:09

Quote:
The primary problem with the original E61 VOIP client is that it didn't know how to get out from behind a router, where the router assigns a local (e.g. 192.168.X.X) rather than a global IP address. This means that it was just about useless in many situations. I've tried some other VOIP clients and have not been able to get them to install on the E61.
I'm not expert on the most recent models, but I never had any problems like that with an E51

Works on my home wifi and several others, and fine with its own client or Fring Nimbuzz or Dellmont/Betamax MobileVoip (older version)

I've also used MobileVoip on my X6 in some wifi zones

So I assume from that that later models would be ok, but I gather that some models maybe either don't have the built-in VoIP client any more or it's a bit harder to find - not quite sure which, or may depend on market area?

Old
  (#10)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 21-06-2012, 02:19

Same here - MobileVOIP works flawlessly on my E63 using the built in voip client. Fring and Nimbuzz also work fine on it.