PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 3 UK roaming in Italy... - 30-01-2007, 20:36

I just received Kiwisteve's 3 UK prepaid simcard and I'm testing it a bit here in Genova using my 3 ITA branded (and unlocked) LG U8110.

I put the simcard in the phone, turned it on and left it waiting for about 5 mins but it selected no network. That could be because of the old firmware of the U8110 which cannot choose automatically an UMTS network unless the simcard is a u-sim (3 ITA uses u-sim, I thouhg 3 UK too, but they could be different). Anyway it's quite strange that it doesn't select any GSM network as well (3 UK has agreements with Wind only, which has full coverage both in 2G and 3G here).

So I selected manually 3 ITA and it registered to it after quite a long time (about a couple of minutes). After another minute I received the following SMS: "From 3: For the best rates make sure you stay on 3 Italy. If you need to switch to 3, go to your phone settings and select your network manually.". No welcome messages from 3 ITA.

The weird fact is that after few minutes I found the phone had registered automatically on... Wind!
I registered on the site and it seems the online self-care is quite good (but I leave to Steve the honour to play with it ).

After dinner I came back to where I left the phone (always on Wind) and I read that Steve sent me an SMS, but I never received it. I manually selected 3 ITA once again and sent him a couple of SMS to his Vodafone NZ number. He received both and I received his answers as well both of the times... quite a mistery about the first SMS he sent me! Then I tried to send him a message to his Wind number but the phone failed to send... I checked and saw that there was no network on the display! I'm still trying to select a network manually but it doesn't register to any of them! It could be the LG, but it's surely quite a weird thing...

I shut down the phone and now I'm trying to select the networks manually once again. Nothing changed...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim