PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-05-2006, 13:27

www.soonr.com

I heard of this a couple of days ago, and it looks interesting to begin with. It uses wap/gprs to set up a secure link to your PC, including My Documents, Outlook, etc, if you choose those

They are also promoting the Skype access fairly strongly. It's effectively a wap triggered callback to your mobile, using your SkypeOut credit, then you can either reach Skype contacts directly or make a further SkypeOut pstn call. The founder of it is slightly too keen to promote cheap international calls as if this had never been possible before; as I've pointed out on a couple of the referred blogs, this is already possible via calling card, callthrough and callback

Clearly, the most interest in this will be from US subscribers, with their 2c Skype rate. Other mobiles don't have such competitive rates from Skype, so it would be unlikely to take off so much elsewhere.

At the moment, it needs your PC to be on at home or wherever. That seems to me the biggest drawback. Fine, even brilliant, for an hour or two out of the office, but not as attractive for a two or three week holiday.

It is said there will be a premium service, where the PC won't need to be on. I reckon they should do a deal with Google so people can cache stuff there, but that won't help the Skype use.

I've tried a couple of calls with a certain mobile, and had issues with hanging up the call, which may be due to the compatibility of my SIM, or for other reasons, which I hope for some feedback on. There is a hangup button at the end of the call progress page, but I hope that hanging up the mobile or pressing ## would also work.

It doesn't attract me much at the moment, but maybe the facilities will expand, like Skype use without remote PC requirement, and the rather tedious log-in and dial method could be shortened.