PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
ygeffens (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Germany - GPRS Data - 26-03-2009, 14:42

Hi

I'm going to Germany next week, and I want to buy a local card to access the internet.

I searched the forum and found Blau, Simyo, Aldi, ...

But what card is the most easy to setup?
I don't mind paying a few cents extra, I just want it to work out of the box, not having to wait a few days. I'm not going to make phonecalls with it.

I'm arriving on a saturday, and I want to use it the same day, so the shop has to be open that day. I'm traveling by car, so I can buy in a gasstation, papershop, ...

I have a Belgian passport, that passport must be enough to get the card and activate it on the spot.

What can you suggest?

Sim:
Belgium: Proximus Smart+ 15 (+32 496 contract)

Voip:
Weepee-voip.be

Phones:
Apple iPhone 32Gb 5S

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-03-2009, 17:25

Depending on the duration of your stay, the data volume and bandwidth required, you could go for Tchibo, who offer a monthly data flatrate for € 20. SIMs are sold for € 1 at Tchibo shops and come with € 1 of initial credit. Tchibo uses the O2 network, which offers widespread EDGE coverage and HSDPA in urban areas. details: Germany - Tchibo - Prepaid Wireless Internet Access

simyo and Blau, which both use the eplus network, offer a 1GB-pack for € 9,90 valid for month. eplus has recently started upgrading their GSM network to EDGE, but most of their network still supports only GPRS and their UMTS network doesn't support HSDPA. Also the eplus network is often congested especially in urban areas and so you may experience modem speeds even if UMTS is available.
Since simyo is only sold online, you will need to get a Blau SIM, which is sold at NORMA (supermarket), Kaufland (supermarket), real (supermarket), Media Markt (electronics retailer), SATURN (electronics retailer), ProMarkt (electronics retailer), Budnikowsky drug store), ateka (phone shop) and debitel (phone shop). Blau SIMs cost € 20 and come with € 20 of credit until the end of march - regularly the initial credit is € 10. For details on Blau check Blau ? Prepaidwiki (German). If you don't subscribe to the 1GB-pack, Blau will charge € 0,24/MB.

The last recommendation would be Fonic, who also charge € 0,24/MB but also offer a dayflat for € 2,50/day, which needs prior activation by customer care. Fonic is also realized through the O2 network, which means EDGE and HSDPA coverage. SIMs are sold for € 10 including € 6,75 of credit at Lidl (supermarket), real (supermarket), Müller (drug store), dm (drug store), JET (gasstation), ProMarkt (electronics retailer), KOMET (electronics retailer). Details: FONIC ? Prepaidwiki (German)

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 26-03-2009, 17:38

Forgot to mention: Fonic has the big advantage of cheap calling rates to Belgium: € 0,09/min to fixed lines and € 0,29/min to mobiles

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#4)
ygeffens (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 26-03-2009, 20:55

Thanks for listing the different possibilities.

FYI: I'm staying just one week.

I also read in another thread about Solomo.
They also have 9ct/m to Belgium, not that I will call that much, but it's nice.
They also have 24ct/Mb for data.

I can buy that online.

What is your opinion about this one, besides that it also uses E-Plus?

Sim:

Voip:
Weepee-voip.be

Phones:
Apple iPhone 32Gb 5S

Old
  (#5)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 26-03-2009, 21:42

Solomo is good, but I don't know if you can order it without a German address. It does not offer a data "deal" beyond the 24 cent/MB.

As you mentioned wanting to get the SIM right away, and use data (and call home, or many other places, for 9 cents/min), you'd probably find Fonic a good choice, as it is very easy to find a retailer that sells it.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell

Old
  (#6)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-03-2009, 00:38

Solomo pro is also attractive, as they have the same cheap international rates to Belgium as Fonic, but the fact you wanted to buy the SIM "on the spot" hindered me from recommending them to you, as they sell their SIM online only. Also as Motel75 mentioned, there's no data option beyond those € 0,24/MB and they use the eplus network, which is inferior.
On the other hand solomo pro has cheap roaming rates (incoming calls within Europe for € 0,10-0,15/min) and it includes a free VoIP-account, which offers parallel call (mobile phone and VoIP ringing simultaneously) and cheap outgoing calls to solomo subscribers for € 0,05/min (including your own solomo SIM). The VoIP-feature allows you to be reachable on your German mobile phone number anywhere in the world for free, where you have internet access (just need a VoIP-device or -software). Further if you have some VoIP-device supporting multiple VoIP-accounts and VoIP-forwarding (like a Fritz!Box) you can forward incoming calls from some DID-number through solomo's VoIP-account to your solomo SIM for € 0,05/min.
solomo does ship SIMs to Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Poland, Switzerland and Spain. They usually send SIMs the next day and should arrive in the named countries within 2-3 days.
If you order through this link you'll get an additional credit of € 5. So with this month's promotion you get the SIM with € 10 of credit for € 5.

Old
  (#7)
ygeffens (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 27-03-2009, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Solomo pro is also attractive, as they have the same cheap international rates to Belgium as Fonic, but the fact you wanted to buy the SIM "on the spot" hindered me from recommending them to you, as they sell their SIM online only.
My fault. I meant that, when I have to buy it at my place of stay, I want it to work immediatly.
But this offer is great, I ordered it already. It should arrive early next week. This gives me the possibility to setup voip forwarding. I do have a FritzBox (nice device), and I have plenty of local DIDs.

Do you mean, that when I attach my Begian DID to the Solomo Voip account, that I can receive calls on my cellphone (in Germany) at 5ct/m? or is that only on the sip-client? If so, it's not very usefull because I can also attach my DIDs to my own voip-accounts for free.

Anyway, sounds like a good deal, and I think I won't mind the "slower" network.
In Belgium, I'm using BASE as my provider, and they only offer EDGE, so I'm used to the speeds
And EDGE is fast enough to make my Fring client on my iPhone work. I tweaked the iPhone so that Fring also works over EDGE (not only WiFi). So I'll probably be able to make and receive calls for "free" (besides the data-cost for solomo).

I'll write a small report about my findings when I'm back.
Just to be on the safe side, I'll write down some fonic and tchibo addresses to pick-up a sim-card in case solomo is not performing as I expect.

Thanks for all the input to all of you.

Yves

Sim:

Voip:
Weepee-voip.be

Phones:
Apple iPhone 32Gb 5S

Old
  (#8)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default More solomo voip details - 27-03-2009, 09:00

Yves,

You also need to know that a solomo pro accout has two credit balances. One balance is for the sim (for normal telephone services). And the second balance is for voip services (at the moment: voip calls, the "iSMS service" for sending cheaper SMS messages over the internet which include your solomo pro telephone number, and perhaps also to pay for tweetpushes in the future). It looks as if a free test phase for tweetpushes will begin in April.

The bad news is that the voip services balance cannot be credited from the sim balance, nor can it be topped up via the internet. The voip services balance has to be topped up via a bank account:

Empfänger: solomo GmbH
Bank: Commerzbank
Kontonummer: 10 443 6100
Bankleitzahl: 443 400 37
IBAN: DE51 4434 0037 0104 4361 00
BIC: COBADEFF443

UserId: xxxx (get this from the voip section of your online solomo account)
Benutzername: 01570******* (your solomo pro phone number)

Best logon to your online solomo account and confirm the bank details. I think you can logon to your account even before you receive your sim in the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygeffens View Post
Do you mean, that when I attach my Begian DID to the Solomo Voip account, that I can receive calls on my cellphone (in Germany) at 5ct/m? or is that only on the sip-client? If so, it's not very usefull because I can also attach my DIDs to my own voip-accounts for free.
Yes, you can forward your Begian DID to the Solomo Voip account. Online you can set up your account to receive incoming calls either on your solomo mobile alone (5c/min), or on your solomo voip account alone (free), or on both simultaneously for 5c/min (but only pickup on one receiver). Each solomo pro account also has its own voip telephone number (with "98" in the middle) which you can give to people if you only want them to directly phone your voip telephone.

Naked voip over somolo/e-plus is banned, but technically possible. There are a few minor hurdles, but nothing complicated. I won´t give any details because the e-plus network is very, very overloaded at times. Just play around knowing that it is possible. Jump the hurdles!

All solomo sims allow UMTS data transfer, where it has been enabled by e-plus.

Oh, I almost forgot. The solomo service is provided by vistream. In the solomo contract terms and conditions, you have to agree to the vistream terms and conditions, which include a clause allowing vistream to terminate all services after 3 months of account inactivity. No-one has ever reported that this clause has been used, but it is there nevertheless.

Old
  (#9)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-03-2009, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by babble View Post
Yes, you can forward your Begian DID to the Solomo Voip account.
More precisely: You can forward your Belgian DID through the solomo VoIP account to your solomo SIM.

Quote:
Online you can set up your account to receive incoming calls either on your solomo mobile alone (5c/min), or on your solomo voip account alone (free), or on both simultaneously for 5c/min (but only pickup on one receiver).
You can set up parallel call, so VoIP and SIM will ring simultaneously if the solomo number is being called. But keep in mind, that the solomo VoIP account can't be registered multiply. So you can't use the VoIP account on your FritzBox and through Fring at once. Before you leave Belgium you need to decide wether you setup the VoIP account on your FritzBox to forward calls to the SIM or if you want to use the VoIP account with Fring.

Quote:
Each solomo pro account also has its own voip telephone number (with "98" in the middle) which you can give to people if you only want them to directly phone your voip telephone.
That's another interesting thing, I didn't realize. So when you are in Germany, you could call your VoIP-account on your FritzBox from your solomo SIM and so reach your family or setup callthrough for 5 ct/min. Just for clarification: Depending on what you configure online on the solomo website the solomo VoIP account will ring for both: your regular solomo mobile number and the additional VoIP-number (= username of the VoIP account).

Quote:
Naked voip over somolo/e-plus is banned, but technically possible. There are a few minor hurdles, but nothing complicated. I won´t give any details because the e-plus network is very, very overloaded at times. Just play around knowing that it is possible. Jump the hurdles!
Using VoIP over GPRS/EDGE/3G would only be cheaper than a callthrough-setup through the solomo VoIP-account + FritzBox if you use a VoIP codec, that generates less than 28 KBit/s (including up- AND downstream and overhead).

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot. The solomo service is provided by vistream. In the solomo contract terms and conditions, you have to agree to the vistream terms and conditions, which include a clause allowing vistream to terminate all services after 3 months of account inactivity. No-one has ever reported that this clause has been used, but it is there nevertheless.
So far solomo hasn't cancelled account earlier than after 12 months of inactivity and I think it shouldn't be a problem to send a SMS every 3 months.

Old
  (#10)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 27-03-2009, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygeffens View Post
My fault. I meant that, when I have to buy it at my place of
Do you mean, that when I attach my Begian DID to the Solomo Voip account, that I can receive calls on my cellphone (in Germany) at 5ct/m?
Yes. You just need to configure the solomo VoIP account in your FritzBox and set up a forwarding (or parallel call) for inbound calls (addressed to some of yours DID number(s)) to your solomo number through the solomo VoIP account.

Quote:
or is that only on the sip-client? If so, it's not very usefull because I can also attach my DIDs to my own voip-accounts for free.
Answering calls to your solomo number by SIP client is always free. The 5 ct/min referes to calls from your solomo VoIP-account to any solomo pro number (including your own one).

Quote:
I'll write a small report about my findings when I'm back.
Just to be on the safe side, I'll write down some fonic and tchibo addresses to pick-up a sim-card in case solomo is not performing as I expect.
Regarding the separate credit for VoIP, I didn't realize, that solomo has dropped the initial credit of € 5 also for the VoIP-credit. So indeed you will need to topup the VoIP-credit ("solomo online Konto") separately by banktransfer.

That's how you setup your solomo VoIP-account in your FritzBox: