PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
prion (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 15-12-2006, 22:36

Some info about China prepaid from someone who has recently been there (from another forum).

China mobile prepaid (Shen2 Zhou1 Xing2 SIM Ka3, 神州行 SIM 卡)are the most common and are used by most foreigners in China. The cost of it initially is 60-100 Yuan (~6euro-10euro) and has 50 Yuan in prepaid credit(~5euro). Incoming charges apply which are more if you travel outside the city where your number is based. Generally tarifs are cheap, cheaper than many other countries

Stands where China mobile prepaid cards are to be found in the airport ( in the Capital) and cost approximately 100 Yuan (~10 euros)

Old
  (#2)
Gryphone (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 23-12-2006, 16:10

Ok... it get's a little bit more complicated:

- "Shenzhouxing Changtingka" was wrong, it should say "Shenzhouhang Changtingka"
- incoming call from other mobiles cost 0,60 RMB/min, for calls from fixed networks you have to pay 1,30 RMB/min. though
- both network use GSM 900 and 1800
- China Mobile's prefixes are 134 to 139, not just 134 and 139
- you can't automatically call abroad, this function has to be activated first, if possible at a China Mobile store, otherwise you can try to this at 10086
- International Roaming is not possible (unless you meet certain conditions, one of them is having been a customers for at least a year)

Now, about data calls: GPRS is possible and automatically enabled.
for WAP use these settings: APN=cmwap and IP=10.0.0.172
for Internet access: APN=cmnet
It'll cost you 0,03 RMB/kb.

There are also two monthly options, one will give you 10 MB for 5 RMB, the other 50 MB for 20 RMB. After that you pay 0,01RMB/kb.
However I haven't quite figured out the other conditions for this option or how to activated it.

About that third network: 460-36 broadcasts in the upper EGSM bands and seems to operate only a mere handful of stations. Wikipedia lists several operators in China (without the MNC though), so I have no idea who this network belongs to...

Active Prepaid SIMs: United Mobile; (RC) China Mobile; (USA) TúYo; (D) Loop, Callya, Simyo; (A) Klax; (I) Wind; (B) Ay Yildiz
Former Prepaid SIMs: (RC) IF; (D) Free&Easy, Xtra; (A) Yesss; (UK) Pay&Go; (E) Movistar; (IS) Frelsi
Mobiles in use: Sagem my101X, Siemens M50, Nokia 6800, Siemens M65, Motorola E770, Samsung SGH-Z500, Nokia 9500
Previous Mobiles: Nokia 5130, Motorola V3688, Sagem myX-1, Siemens M55, NEC e313, SonyEricsson T200, Motorola V980, Siemens C45, Motorola V600

Old
  (#3)
gmmour (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 05-03-2007, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by prion View Post
Some info about China prepaid from someone who has recently been there (from another forum).

China mobile prepaid (Shen2 Zhou1 Xing2 SIM Ka3, 神州行 SIM 卡)are the most common and are used by most foreigners in China. The cost of it initially is 60-100 Yuan (~6euro-10euro) and has 50 Yuan in prepaid credit(~5euro). Incoming charges apply which are more if you travel outside the city where your number is based. Generally tarifs are cheap, cheaper than many other countries

Stands where China mobile prepaid cards are to be found in the airport ( in the Capital) and cost approximately 100 Yuan (~10 euros)
And the credits for the above mentioned original on a greek forum go to:
Me!

Well, thanks for translating, I hope I'll have time to write a similar lengthy review of Chinese carriers in english too.

Any questions are welcome. I stayed there for the summer at the Beijing University of Language and Culture and it seems that everybody there worked their way with prepaid calling cards and callback cards and everything to call their home countries!
Anyway, everything is cheap and if you find the right card for you you can call your home country very cheap (voip of course is always free!)

Roaming outside your area is a PITA but anywayz, have fun in China!

Cheers!

Old
  (#4)
carydc (Offline)

Default 16-08-2008, 19:41

Ok, I am new to all of this and would like to understand how to use and access the data network once I arrive. I can have my wife get me a SIM Card so she has it when I arrive. I have used ATT there before and it seems the data works but not too sure about Texting.Could someone tell me what this means in plain laymens terms:GPRS is possible and automatically enabled. for WAP use these settings: APN=cmwap and IP=10.0.0.172 <<<---- Has me confused. What do you mean here?for Internet access: APN=cmnet <<<-----What does this mean to me as well? I do not understand the reference. I have been using CDMA for too long with Sprint and Treos from 300, 600, 650, 700p, 755p. So the GSM is completely new and the terms foreign as a language is.It'll cost you 0,03 RMB/kb. There are also two monthly options, one will give you 10 MB for 5 RMB, the other 50 MB for 20 RMB. After that you pay 0,01RMB/kb. You can activate this options either on the internet page or in a store (be sure to bring your PIN)

Cary Conover
Principal Systems Consultant
Sensible Computing Solutions

Old
  (#5)
carydc (Offline)

Default 16-08-2008, 19:43

Also could someone post updated and recent rates and plans for China from both China Mobile and the other options. I am looking for the best deal on data and text. Calling will be limited but I am aware I will be doing it.

Regards,

Cary

Cary Conover
Principal Systems Consultant
Sensible Computing Solutions