PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default Simyo Spain €5/month data (upto 500MB) - 25-05-2009, 13:16

I'm not too sure if this was posted before, but this will be useful for some travellers to Spain. Up until recently I have been very happy with Yoigo but for small amounts of everyday internet useage Simyo's capped rate of €5/month for upto 500MB useage is much better value.

Also, on the same tarriff they have a €0,99/day cap provided you do not got over 100MB per day. Additional MB's are charged at 9c, and data is calculated in 256kb chunks.

The good news is there is no minimum monthly spend.

Yoigo has become a bit unpopular with travellers because of the €6/month minimum spend and they have disabled Tarrifa 2 for new customers.

For all details on Simyo check: Tarifa Diaria

Old
  (#2)
jrs526 (Offline)

Default 03-06-2009, 10:15

Hi there. How do you go about buying one of these? Do you have to buy their modem at €69 and register your bank details with them for payment? Is the modem the usual plug in USB? I live in England but have an apartment in Spain which I visit regularly, so this would be quite handy to use with my laptop.

Old
  (#3)
a-mac (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 03-06-2009, 21:27

Hi jrs526

I have been researching this also as I also go to Spain regularly and am off there on Monday 8 June for 3 weeks, I'd like a Simyo SIM for my business purposes. In the past I have used a UK T-Mobile dongle (PAYG) in Spain which cost me around £30 for a week's usage a couple of times a day - which is way too much.

My understanding after researching, is that if you can get hold of any unlocked data USB modem (any brand), a Spanish SIM will work in it. So that just leaves us with the question of the payment processes.

paykow says there is no minimum spend so can't see that they would they need bank account details. If the PAYG top-ups can be bought at a supermarket and converted online (assuming I can understand the website instructions ) then this looks like a good deal if I just knew where to buy it!

I guess it also depends on where one is going as the newer service providers have a more scant coverage. I know Yoigo covers the Alicante - Valancia coastal areas quite well, but don't know about Simyo.

It would be great is someone came up with the perfect answer and info before I leave on Monday! If you hear anything, post quick!

Old
  (#4)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Looks like you buy the simyo sim online - 03-06-2009, 21:58

According to this page, you buy the simyo sim online.

http://www.simyo.es/preguntas_frecue...ml#comohacerse

- "How do you join simyo?"
- "You can join simyo online at simyo.es"

¿Cómo hacerse de simyo? Para hacerte de simyo tan sólo tienes que entrar en simyo.es

I think you will need to ask someone in Spain to buy the sim for you, otherwise you´ll never receive it by Monday.

- "How long does the purchase take?"
- "It normally takes between 2 and 4 days to receive the sim (within Spain). The sim will be sent to the address you give us during the (online) purchase process, using recorded/certified mail."

¿Cómo llega mi pedido?

El env*o de los pedidos suele tardar entre 2 y 4 d*as. Te llegará mediante correo certificado a la dirección que nos indiques durante el proceso de compra.

Last edited by babble; 03-06-2009 at 22:08..

Old
  (#5)
seal (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 03-06-2009, 22:13

can i buy simyo sim card in press shops for example? I will be on el prat in barcelona at 20.06 and i want to buy this card asap for voice calls and internet.

Old
  (#6)
a-mac (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 03-06-2009, 23:06

Can they not be bought in supermarkets and other public places? I can't get the SIM delivered to the place I'm staying as I have no key to the private box for mail.

Old
  (#7)
jrs526 (Offline)

Default 04-06-2009, 20:36

I found this on another site but nothing else yet. It would be nice to hear from petkow as he appears to have a simyo data sim up and running.

"Simyo is an operator that uses Orange 3G and GSM network. It has very good prices. You can buy a sim via Internet at simyo.es, but you can't get it outside Spain (by law). There is no way to buy it in a shop.

A voice + data price overview can be found here. National calls to any dest: sms / 1 minute:0,1044 eur. - call start: 0.174 eur.

Data: it's very good for internet access. You can access with hspda, 3g or gprs almost over the entire country (not all for hspda but 97% with 3g)

First 100mb: 1.1484 €
Less than 10mb: 0.1044 €"

Old
  (#8)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 04-06-2009, 21:26

One of the problems with Simyo is that it appears you can only get it online. I was meaning to buy one of their SIMs for quite a while, but was a bit tied up and ended up ordering it online about a week ago, but had to leave the country unaexpectantly before they could deliver it. I did get an email from them saying they tried to deliver but I was not there. I'll only be back next week.

So the bottom line is you can only buy it online, and need to have a Spanish NIE and a Spanish address to do so. They deliver it by courier and it takes around 2 working days. It needs to be delivered to the account holder who needs to sign for it and sign the agreement with simyo. It can therefore not be sent to a friend or to a PO box.

You can chose whether to go postpaid or prepaid but the rates are exactly the same. The only difference is with postpaid you get a monthly bill, and have to specify a Spanish bank account at the time of order. I went with prepaid, which cost me 1 euro plus 3.95 postage. The SIM comes with 5 euros credit, and you get a further 5 euros if you buy through someone who recommends you ... such as me You also get another 5after your first topup of 10 euros. Not a bad deal really. Basically, it comes down to for 14.95 you get 25 euros of credit.

Though I do not have my SIM yet, I have used my friends plenty of times. He has it in his 3G phone hooked up to his laptop via a cable. He only uses it for data and has had it 2 months and not paid more than 5 euros a month. Not bad really!

It is a MVNO that piggybacks on Orange, whose coverage is not bad in most places, though Yoigo (with Movistar coverage) is much better, and they have more 3.5G coverage.

Hope this helps! Just ask here if you have any more questions.

Old
  (#9)
babble (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default Passport can substitute NIE document - 04-06-2009, 21:53

Simyo will accept a passport number as an alternative to the spanish NIE number.

https://www.simyo.es/simyo/portal/st.../customer-info

Old
  (#10)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 04-06-2009, 23:21

Well spotted. Yes, that is often the case out here! You just have to make sure you can show that passport when your SIM is delivered.