PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Confused (Offline)

Default Cruise to Italy and surrounding areas - Looking for data option. - 17-04-2011, 02:52

I'm going on a cruise that starts in Rome, bounces around the surrounding areas and finishes in Venice. I'm looking for a data only plan that can be used in all of the areas that I'm visiting.

The ports that I'm going to are:

Rome/Civitavecchia, Italy
Bonifacio, Corsica
Cagliari, Sardinia
Trapani/Segesta Sicily
Palermo, Sicily
Taormina, Sicily
Valletta, Malta
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Split, Croatia
Venice, Italy

Is there one provider that covers all of these areas, or is there a plan that lets me use whatever network is available no matter where I go?

I have an unlocked Motorola Atrix that uses WCDMA 850/1900/2100, GSM 850/900/1800/1900. Will I be able to use this phone for 3G service?

Or, how available is free Wi-Fi? I know here in the states, I can usually find an open wifi network at any coffee shop and some resturants. Is it easy to find an open network in these places?

Thanks,
B

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 26-04-2011, 14:36

Any Italian sim card will work in all the Italian places ad you should have 3G coverage everywhere you will go (they are all main towns). While in Corsica (France), Malta and Croatia you will pay roaming charges, expecially high in Croatia (out of EU), so data is not an option there. Free wifi in Italy is very rare. I was in Dubrovnik and Split few days ago and there were some free wifi hotspots in Split (inside Diocletian's palace, so the very centre of the town) but I don't remember any in Dubrovnik. Also in Malta you should find some.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim