PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default UK | looking for SIM only for 2-4 GB of data during 1 week - 21-03-2011, 13:26

Hello world,

Friends of mine will stay in London during next week where they'll need 2-4 GB of data.

Since they have an Android 2.2 handset they would like to buy a SIM only and share the 3G internet connection through the integrated WiFi-hotspot feature, so their smartphones and laptops get online.

Unfortunately I can't find any reliable information whether all those larger data packs offered by British operators are available through regular SIM cards or if you have to buy a dongle bundled with a data SIM.

Any thoughts which offer to take?

Thanks!

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#2)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 21-03-2011, 15:36

You can buy a larger data pack from Three. The SIMs (without a Dongle) are a little harder to come by, but an easy place to get them is in the vending machines at Heathrow. They have a by the day option or by the month options. If you have a UK mailing address, you can also get two free SIM cards sent out to that address.

I might play with Bluetooth tethering when you are not using the laptops. It reduces battery drain. Three includes free access to Skype to Skype and Skype Out calls (non-UK only)

Old
  (#3)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 23-03-2011, 12:39

Thanks, but are you sure that those daily/monthly data packs from 3 are available to the regular voice SIMs?
For the regular PAYG voice SIMs I could only find these add-ons, that include a 500MB-pack for £5 and a 120MB-pack for £0.50.
All the larger packs (1GB, 3GB etc.) are only advertised in conjunction with the "Mobile Broadband PAYG" plans.
The point is, that my friends would like to place and receive some local calls and I wonder if voice calling is available on those "Mobile Broadband" SIMs and if calling rates are identical with the regular voice SIMs.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com