Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#11)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 26-03-2006, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimon
You make valid points for resistance. I grant you calling out is not as convenient as with your local/national phone. How much are you [I write YOU but I mean someone from Poland or Austria or France or whatever European country] willing to pay for the convenience of using your local/national phone in a semi-un-united Europe, at least in terms of mobile cell phones?
I could accept 15-20 US cents/min for incoming calls (but I travel rather rarely abroad; if I traveled more often, it would be no more that 10 cents). Western (=richer) Europeans might accept a little more, I guess.

Quote:
PERSONALLY, when I travel my primary concern is REACHING OTHERS back home and REACHING MY FAMILY with me. True, those may not be the concerns of the normal European user.
Mine is the same, but I don't want to speak for other Europeans

Quote:
I also recommend a good calling card for or from the destination country to be used in preference to the cell phone. The cell phone phonebook can be still be used to keep those numbers.
I think that this sim mess is just to avoid "playing" calling cards unless as backup . Moreover, in countries where there are free callthru numbers, CBW/El would be enough....

Quote:
Regarding the high initial cost of the packet, I would suggest buyers take a longer term view. IF the user travels out of the country every year on vacation and to different destinations, then surely the investment will pay off in a few years, no? Compare to buy starter packs in various destinations and sell, swap or dispose.
You're absolutely correct. When receiving free incoming calls only, a UM SIM requires only one 0.49? SMS to extend it's validity by next 9 monts. With initial credit of 15?, it would be enough for over 20 years

Quote:
How much does an international SMS cost? Can't friends from home send and SMS if
In most Polish prepaid plans and all postpaid plans about 3 times more than off-net national one .

Quote:
At least with the UM card, NONE of my phones has experienced compatibility issues -- Nokia 6610, various MOTOs (P-280, V66, V300, V330, V18 and even a Treo 270 and Treo 600. TRUE, your mileage may vary.
I'm not afraid about UM/09/Travelsim or Hop. My main concern is about Callkey SIMs...