PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 22-01-2006, 16:01

apologies - I thought you were asking for ideas and tariffs for access from a mobile

Old
  (#12)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-01-2006, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
apologies - I thought you were asking for ideas and tariffs for access from a mobile
Yes, callback from a mobile where I don't have the internet.

More for others really, just to see how low the price can go (still, it's already close to beating my US domestic pre-paid).

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice

Old
  (#13)
tivoboy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 22-01-2006, 16:56

no way
no way this is going to last. There are no CPP operators in the US, this must be a startup marketing trick or something

Old
  (#14)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 22-01-2006, 20:41

I still wouldn't bet much on the 0044 call calculator - 51p to a Spanish landline from UK?

And in the CallKey site, the tariffs in USA are blank - try calling Falkland Islands or Vanuatu and see if they are free too?

Old
  (#15)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 22-01-2006, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy
no way
no way this is going to last. There are no CPP operators in the US, this must be a startup marketing trick or something
Why not? If the termination fee for roaming in the US mobile network is included in the rate paid by calling party in order to reach Manx mobile, technically this should work.

And look at Hop - its incoming rate is 35 US cents/min worldwide, including US and Canada of course. Theoretically, if rates for calling Monaco mobiles went up by (at least) 35 cents/min worldwide, this would make it possible to have free incoming calls worldwide.

What's wrong with my reasoning ?

Old
  (#16)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-01-2006, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog
Why not? If the termination fee for roaming in the US mobile network is included in the rate paid by calling party in order to reach Manx mobile, technically this should work.
I agree, I've no idea how much it costs for the US mobile portion but it'll be only a few cents per minute as the best retail rates for incoming are well under 10c/min. Most carriers charge 22c+/min a minute to IOM mobiles (14-60c/min from UK), a big chunk of that being the IOM termination, and UK-USA is under 1c. There's plenty of profit margin. Suprising it's taken so long.

QUOTE (Andy)

I still wouldn't bet much on the 0044 call calculator - 51p to a Spanish landline from UK?
[/quote:e589736eb3]

Yes, the outgoing calls are expensive - a domestic US call is 76c/min, which is why free incoming and callback is interesting. I was billed 37c for a test call under 30 seconds within the US, which about confirms that rate (allowing for currency rounding).

QUOTE (Andy)

And in the CallKey site, the tariffs in USA are blank - try calling Falkland Islands or Vanuatu and see if they are free too?
[/quote:e589736eb3]

The Callkey tariffs on their site are for a different product, their callback service (i.e. 4c for a US domestic call, 29c/min UK mobile to US). US to Falkland shows 97c, Vanuatu 1.01 - maybe we're looking at different rate charts? (either way, that's not the CallkeyOne tariff, and it's not supposed to be).

I'm only reporting my experience - incoming calls on this card in the US are not charged for. the 0044 rate calculator shows they are not charged for, and the outgoing rate matches the rate on the rate calculator. It may be of interest to somebody, which is why I mentioned it. Like all rates, it might change.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice

Old
  (#17)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 23-01-2006, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday
IThe Callkey tariffs on their site are for a different product, their callback service (i.e. 4c for a US domestic call, 29c/min UK mobile to US). US to Falkland shows 97c, Vanuatu 1.01 - maybe we're looking at different rate charts? (either way, that's not the CallkeyOne tariff, and it's not supposed to be).
sorry, I was kidding about looking up those destinations ...

but the SIM card tariffs are in the same place on the rates page - just press the other button in a column to the left of the drop down box entry (below the photo)

Old
  (#18)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 23-01-2006, 08:01

Quote:
BTW, Effendi - why haven't you put an info about 0044 in the International Cards section yet?
Time to work

Also I'm just studying this new sim card... it's the only one that I miss, I just want to contact them. :construction:

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#19)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 23-01-2006, 08:32

Quote:
When I looked at 0044 tariff calculator yesterday, I noticed free incoming in USA but but I thought it was just an error. That's quite amazing .
Yes, really... but I think about a error too. If you calculate it's fre, but the link in homepage has the surchage for incoming calls (thanks to Stu for the info).

Help/FAQs for Global SIM Cards

How can the Global SIM avoid roaming charges?
Unlike local mobile networks that have been designed to offer the greatest benefit to customers who spend most of their time in a specific country, the Global SIM service has been designed specifically for the international traveler. We recognize the problems of roaming with UK networks and have delivered a unique product to UK travelers that enables cost effective international mobile phone roaming across multiple destinations.

Our Global SIM is in a unique position to offer a global service because of its network status and patented call connection technology. The Global SIM service combines the convenience of mobile technology with the value of a landline service to ensure that not only do you save money but you also receive greater quality. Innovation has lead to the discovery that by connecting your call via a switch platform you can save you up to 80%. Hence the calling process differs slightly; when you make an outgoing call your handset will actually direct the call via the platform and then call you back to connect the call.

When does the charging start?
Charging starts as soon as the number you wanted to call answers. No charging before callback or while waiting for callback occurs.

What charging interval do we use?
Unlike UK operators and our competitors who charge on a Per Minute basis, our Global SIM charges on a six Second basis.

What mobile number will I get with the Global SIM?
You will be given a +44 UK mobile phone number from the Isle of Man. Most operators classify the I.O.M as a UK number, however please check before dialing.

Can I keep my UK mobile number?
International number portability is not possible. However, by diverting calls from your UK mobile to your Global SIM you can retain your number and avoid all mobile roaming charges. However please check the cost of the divert with your mobile operator first.

Can I make data connections with?
Unfortunately, at present this is not possible.

What are the reasons that my mobile may not automatically connect to an available GSM network?
By default, your handset will automatically connect to the GSM network with the strongest signal. However, you may need to select a network manually in cases when coverage is poor, or automatic selection fails. When you are unable to receive call back by initiating a call, manually select another network in your area. For instructions on how to manually select another network please consult your phone instruction manual.

How do I recharge my account?
Additional credit can be added to your account 24/7 by calling customer service or by accessing the website.

Will I lose my prepaid credit if it is not used within the month?
No, any remaining credit will last for 12 months.

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#20)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 25-01-2006, 11:00

Looking at the online calculator today there are no free incoming calls in the USA anymore...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim