PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#41)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-04-2008, 10:06

Actually, Maxroam charges for the callback too. So, even if you call a number that does not exist, is busy, etc. you still get dinged! I mentioned it in the maxroam review thread.

EDIT:I think maxroam and celtrek use the same backend system to handle the callback since they both use that +972 number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraus88 View Post
I bought their sim card, but they charge for the callback , much before the other party answered, this means a real rip off which nobody does. SO avoid this card.............

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Last edited by Bossman; 16-04-2008 at 10:11..

Old
  (#42)
bones_boy (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 17-04-2008, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATHA531 View Post
As far as I am concerned, they are thieves. Imagine they have the gall to charge for unanswered calls...absolutely asinine and absurd and a rip off....don't use them.
Gee, "thieves" is a strong term. At least their customer service is very responsive, which is something you cannot say for most of the other prepaid SIMs (who shall remain nameless).

They do have good points:

- Low rates in USD - they have not raised their rates even though USD sucks - for example, who else can match $0.34 outbound from Japan? Certainly not anyone charging eurocents.

- Virtual DIDs all over the place

- Ability to record calls and listen to them online

- Ability to trigger callback online and avoid the double charge.

I agree the double charge sucks but I'd hardly classify them as thieves. When I think of thieves, I think someone who takes your money and gives you nothing. And there has been plenty of that around here over the last few years.

Just my opinion.

Old
  (#43)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 17-04-2008, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_boy View Post
Gee, "thieves" is a strong term.
(...)
I agree the double charge sucks but I'd hardly classify them as thieves. When I think of thieves, I think someone who takes your money and gives you nothing. And there has been plenty of that around here over the last few years.

Just my opinion.
As long as any particular type of billing is clearly described in the T&C's and not prohibited by the national telecom/other law, the operator cannot be name a "thief".

However....

http://www.celtrek.com/faq.php#62

When does the call charge start?
A - You charges start only when the service calls you back and connects you to the destination you are asking to reach.

I understand the above statement as "no charge for unaswered/busy calls". Or, am I missing something ?

Old
  (#44)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-04-2008, 20:20

Quote:
A - You charges start only when the service calls you back and connects you to the destination you are asking to reach.

I understand the above statement as "no charge for unaswered/busy calls". Or, am I missing something ?
You can read it the way like you did. If you take it word by wordt is says connects to the destination you are asking to reach. You could say that when no one answers the call you have still reached the destination. If there is a busytone you still reached the destination but it's busy.

The words seem to be choosen very carefull and they are not very clear.

I do agree that an operator has to be clear about the cost. In reallity for the operator the cost do start when making a callback to you and when the line is busy or not answered it does cost the operator money. Some companies like UM just charge a .25 euro connection fee to cover cost.
Others say the have no connection fee and hide when you get charged. When comparing service most user don't find or notice the terms that you have to pay for non answered or busy calls and just think there is no connection fee.
It's unfortunate that there are companier hiding this fee or write like:

You charges start only when the service calls you back and connects you to the destination you are asking to reach.

Old
  (#45)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 18-04-2008, 22:27

No callback sim card is perfect. Have tried travelfone(out of business), UM, UM+, and Yackie. Pricing isn't always what they say on their website, callbacks sometimes fail, and the audio quality isn't always perfect. I'd say probably say 9 out of 10 calls work perfectly and there's something amiss with the tenth call.
That said, it's been much cheaper for me to make calls back to the USA from other countries using a callback sim, country or regional specific sim, or a satphone than using a hotel room phone (typically US$3.49/minute from non-US Caribbean on C&W CallUSA service which is still cheaper than AT&T Direct) or a postpaid mobile phone(US$1-US$3 depending on carrier, country and rate plan).

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#46)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 18-04-2008, 22:55

It would help if those that start charging as soon as the caller answers the callback indicate so though. I found out about maxroam the hard way. I assumed it was like most of the other sims that only charge for connected calls. So, I made a couple of test calls that I did not answer, from here (it's not cheap using it here in the US) when I received it. As soon as I checked my balance. I knew what was up.

I wonder what happens if I do nto answer the callback and it rolls to voicemail?

Old
  (#47)
ckole (Offline)

Default 30-04-2008, 15:25

I just returned from Europe and had a chance to use the Celtrek sim card. Generally it worked great. Call quality varied but that of course is up to the local network. Worked fine in Switzerland, Austria, and Croatia. One day the card did have issues in Dubrovnik. The signal died and it wouldn't re-register with a network. I tried auto and manual with no luck. Tried the card in multiple phones. Then it decided to come back. So not sure what that issue was. At the same time I was trying OneSim and OneRoam. Celtrek worked better for sure. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. If Celtrek could just find a way to give you a local SMS number as well it would be a huge improvement. Based on my tests I would recommend CelTrek.

With that said like other here I may still end up using a variety of cards including a local country sim if I plan on staying in one spot. I like the MyGlobalTalk solution to call forwarding so I don't have to update everyone on my contact list which sim I am using.

Old
  (#48)
Scarlet (Offline)

Default maxroam is a rebadged celtrek - 30-04-2008, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Actually, Maxroam charges for the callback too. So, even if you call a number that does not exist, is busy, etc. you still get dinged! I mentioned it in the maxroam review thread.

EDIT:I think maxroam and celtrek use the same backend system to handle the callback since they both use that +972 number.
When I initially installed my maxroam sim, I was immediately connected to the celtrek support centre, when I selected the "My Number" function of my maxroam sim.

Conclusion: maxroam is a rebadged celtrek.

Old
  (#49)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 30-04-2008, 16:32

The formed some kind partnership late last year.

http://patphelan.net/cubic-telecom-a...allign-forces/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
When I initially installed my maxroam sim, I was immediately connected to the celtrek support centre, when I selected the "My Number" function of my maxroam sim.

Conclusion: maxroam is a rebadged celtrek.

Old
  (#50)
Scarlet (Offline)

Default maxroam has always been celtrek - 02-05-2008, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
They formed some kind of partnership late last year.
I bought my maxraom sim immediately after the product was launched. Weeks before the press announcement of the maxroam-celtrek "union".

Conclusion: maxroam has always been celtrek