PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 12-03-2007, 02:34

So far, the customer service has been great.
I asked them about a local number in the 228 area code and was told that they didn't have any numbers in 228. So, I didn't ask any more about that. I can use my VoiceStick number to forward to the number they assigned in the Fla. Keys*.
I'm also very interested in their future data options.
All incoming calls have been very reliable, even when the earthquake right after Christmas disrupted communications all around the western Pacific. They worked in Singapore when T-Mobile didn't.
I have not topped the card up, so I can't comment on that.

*Having a number in the Keys bothers me a bit. After Hurricane Katrina our numbers in the impacted areas didn't work for a couple of weeks. The Keys are frequently visited by hurricanes and I'd hate to have the service shut down because of a storm.

Old
  (#12)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-03-2007, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
All incoming calls have been very reliable, even when the earthquake right after Christmas disrupted communications all around the western Pacific....The Keys are frequently visited by hurricanes and I'd hate to have the service shut down because of a storm.
Glad to hear CelTrek worked when other options did not. Maybe they will add additional local number areas as they expand and you can switch your phone number to avoid a potential storm service disruption with the Florida Keys inbound number.
Have a satphone (Iridium) that I've used in instances where I ran out of communication options, but call costs are fairly high, and best used outside for direct line of sight. Thinking of getting another international prepaid sim (other than my current United Mobile sim) to expand coverage, and add features (which is why I was curious about Celtrek's upcoming data offering). Probably won't need until the end of the year, so I'll see how CelTrek and their competitors work out before I decide on another sim.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#13)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 13-03-2007, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
Glad to hear CelTrek worked when other options did not. Maybe they will add additional local number areas as they expand and you can switch your phone number to avoid a potential storm service disruption with the Florida Keys inbound number.
My assumption was that the connection back to T-Mobile was via the Pacific undersea cables, which were cut, while the connection to CelTrek went back to Israel the other way. Had the earthquake been in the Indian ocean the results might have been different.
Quote:
Have a satphone (Iridium) that I've used in instances where I ran out of communication options, but call costs are fairly high, and best used outside for direct line of sight. Thinking of getting another international prepaid sim (other than my current United Mobile sim) to expand coverage, and add features (which is why I was curious about Celtrek's upcoming data offering). Probably won't need until the end of the year, so I'll see how CelTrek and their competitors work out before I decide on another sim.
I had an Iridium account until they raised the monthly fee. In my case it was more of a toy than a tool. Only once (just after Huricane Katrina) did I wish I still had it.

Last edited by DRNewcomb; 14-03-2007 at 00:06..

Old
  (#14)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 13-03-2007, 22:24

That would make sense with the CelTrek card working because it didn't need the Pacific cable.
After some thought, my solution for another card may actually be a Digicel card. Travel to the Caribbean for pleasure, and their sim cards are good for inexpensive roaming across their the entire Caribbean network (can also roam on Cingular in the US for about a dollar a minute) plus I could refill over the web to keep the card alive between trips. Would also give me data if I signed up for it. Cable and Wireless bMobile service is another possibility but I've generally had better luck with Digicel for voice quality and call completion.
For travel to Canada (business) I have Fido, and for an aviation museum trip to the UK in the fall I can use the United Mobile card.
Still might consider CelTrek in the future if they offer data and United Mobile doesn't come up with an offer to compete.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#15)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 15-03-2007, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post

*Having a number in the Keys bothers me a bit. After Hurricane Katrina our numbers in the impacted areas didn't work for a couple of weeks. The Keys are frequently visited by hurricanes and I'd hate to have the service shut down because of a storm.

DRN -
CelTrek, I assume, issues "virtual numbers" - something involving E-1 servers, SIP servers etc. The call does NOT pass thru a physical location in Florida, but wherever the E-1 server is. What little I could figure out about all this is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-carrier
Also: http://www.answers.com/topic/virtual-phone-number-1
and: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788...ward_dial.html

This is all way beyond me. Your only worry would be if the E-1 server would go out - and that can be located anywhere, as I understand it. It would seem that CelTrek, being a U.S. company, would want the server to be on this continent, rather than overseas, to avoid latency problems.
OTH, I could be wrong.
I think all (or most all) of these outfits like voicestick, onesuite etc. use virtual numbers as well. And Vonage and all other VOIP carriers.
I assume if you are in France and dial a Vonage French number, the call would have to go to an E-1 server in the U.S. and the SIP server in the U.S. and back to France, causing some latency. I doubt Vonage would have servers in all the countries for which they have numbers.

STU - who seems to know more about this stuff here than almost anybody can probably explain this better!

...mike (Who hopes someone here can tell me what I just said)

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.

Old
  (#16)
herkdrvr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default Update? - 22-04-2007, 02:30

Its been over a month since the last posting. Just wondering how CelTrek is working out for the users? I have a UM card but would love to get something a bit cheaper or at least that has more reliable SMS. Thanks!

Old
  (#17)
teothx (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 22-04-2007, 10:52

Now I see the rate...it's a very good sim.
But I don't understand some, for example in the rate calculator sms have a price, but if you see in the sms rate list (there are on their web site), they list another price....

MY PHONE:
• Nokia N95

SIM CARDS:
International: My Cherry Mobile, Oneroam, United Mobile
Italy: Vodafone, Tim, 3, Wind, CoopVoce, UnoMobile
United Kingdom: O2, Vodafone

Old
  (#18)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-04-2007, 02:38

Can anyone that's using this card confirm if it's like yackie that charges as soon as you answer the callback, regardless if the call connects or not.

Also, from their website it looks like you can check your balance from the phone(unlike yackie), Has anyone tried it?

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#19)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 25-04-2007, 04:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Can anyone that's using this card confirm if it's like yackie that charges as soon as you answer the callback, regardless if the call connects or not.

Also, from their website it looks like you can check your balance from the phone(unlike yackie), Has anyone tried it?
It appears that the billing does start when you answer the callback. There appears to be two charges: one for the callback and another for the call forward.

Yes. You can check the balance via SMS. I think you send "credit" to 1111 and it replies with your balance.

Old
  (#20)
djhak (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 29-04-2007, 16:21

I have been looking into Celtrek and found the information in the forum very helpful.
I will say that everyone should be very careful before choosing Celtrek, however.
I was ready to purchase a Celtrek sim (based on the info on thier website), but being the paranoid person that I am, I emailed them first to verify all info.
I am taking a trip to the Bahamas and (as you all know) most global sims don't work there.
The Celtrek site quotes .19/.29 for incoming/outgoing calls from/to the USA.
Celtrek informed me (via email) that due to a 'bug' in thier system, the rates on the site are wrong.
The rates are actually $1.30/$1.46 for Bahamas/USA calls.
I would have been really irate if I had purchased this sim based on the advertised rate with the actual rate being 6 x the advertised rate.
caveat emptor!