PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
mscan (Offline)

Default Android, tethering, and skype - 17-04-2011, 19:52

I've been trying to gather as much information about data plans and service in Italy but I still have some questions. I'm moving to Genoa in a few weeks and I would like to be prepared before I arrive. Here is what I'm hoping I can do with my phone (Nexus S):

- Purchase a voice/sms/data plan for my android. I will mostly use the phone while at work for local calls. I will use apps for travelling and will rarely make international calls.

- While at home I would like to use the tethering on my phone so I can go online with my laptop. I will most likely use a lot of data.

- I would like to use skype on either the phone or laptop to contact friends/family back home to avoid paying international rates.

Does this make sense and is it possible? I'm concerned about the tethering and skype. I am hoping that I won't be restricted by the carrier or phone for these activities.

I'm thinking that the WIND 10 gb/month option would be best. What kind of dl/up speeds could I expect while in Genoa?

Thanks!

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 26-04-2011, 14:25

Hi, I'm from Genova and I've been a Wind customer for more than 10 years, so I've quite an experience about it. You can use Skype and tether with the 10GB option by Wind and speed should be decent even if not that high, but it's the same with all 4 providers in Italy.
What's important is to be sure to have 3G coverage in the places you are going to work and live. Genova has quite a complicated orography so it's not sure to have 3G coverage everywhere. If you can tell me the places where you are going to I could maybe help you.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
mscan (Offline)

Default 28-04-2011, 04:48

Thanks for the help. My apartment will be in Nervi, not exactly sure where yet. I'll actually be moving this weekend so hopefully the WIND data works well there.

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 28-04-2011, 08:32

In Nervi you should have no problems, expecially if you are up on the hills. You could have some problems only if you are in some little street in the old part of the town.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#5)
woody1 (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-05-2011, 17:23

I just got back from traveling in Italy and I was able to tether with good results almost everywhere I went. In some places, the speeds were quite good (definitely better than what I get with AT&T in the US). I was using a SIM card from Coopvoce which is a reseller for TIM. I recommend Coopvoce as a low-price option. Look for a thread that I posted on the subject today. (The thread is awaiting moderation before it appears on the forum).

Old
  (#6)
mscan (Offline)

Default Update after 1 week in Italy - 07-05-2011, 23:02

So I've been in Nervi and had mixed results so far with the wind mega unlimited. First off- the tethering and skype worked perfectly. I use my phone as a modem and get internet all throughout my apartment which makes it very convenient. The problem I keep having however is the service drops randomly. At first it was every 5 minutes but I found if I put the phone next to a window it would be a little better. A few days ago I put in a DNS address I found online for wind and it seems to help the connection. I have now had a few video calls back home that were fine, although there are still times that the whole connection drops. I'm still trying to fix that annoying issue but besides that I'm happy with the service (decent 3g speeds when I am connected).

I still am unable to find a way to check my data usage with this plan. I know I have 10 gigs for 1 month but not sure where I am at right now. I tried calling 4242 and also *123# but I only get the amount of money I put on my account for phone service.

Also so people are aware- I had problems at the first wind store I went to. After explaining that I wanted the mega unlimited service he started signing me up and copied my passport. After some minutes on the phone with someone he came back and said I wasn't able to get the service since I needed to have an Italian citizen card. I had never heard of this before. I went to another Wind store and had no problem signing up. Not sure what was going on with that first store.

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 08-05-2011, 21:03

You can try to write SALDO to 4155 and you will receive 1 or 2 SMS with all the information about your credit. I thought there was an USSD code, but I cannot find it on Wind site.

Old
  (#8)
mscan (Offline)

Default 08-05-2011, 21:42

Thanks. I just tried the SALDO text but no luck. Just gives me the same info for when I call *123# which is that I have 17 euro on my account for phone calls. I even asked the lady at the Wind store how to check it and she didn't know. This really surprises me since it seems like there is no way to tell when I will run out. I certainly don't want to be at work one day and find out my 10gig limit was reached.

Also- does anyone who has the unlimited plan change any of the APN settings? I set the DNS which seemed to give me a better connection but I just changed the protocol from IPv4 to IPv6. Not really sure what that does but I hope it helps keep a solid connection. There were times today when my skype call would drop after only a minute making it impossible to have a conversation.

Old
  (#9)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 09-05-2011, 08:19

It's strange, I remember there was an USSD code to check the data bundle, but it seems there's not anymore. That's probably because they consider this option to be "unlimited" even if it isn't.

About speed, I think it changes nothing if you change the DNS, it just depends on the traffic on the cell you are using. At certain hours it's fine, at others it's hell. It's the same with all the operators.