PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#31)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 07-03-2007, 21:46

have the skype forwaring to my iom mobile working know.

I works very good. The only thing I noticed when calling my skype number that forwards to the iom number the callers heras the rining tone but only after 3 - 5 ring (15 seconds my mobile starts ringing)

For some people this could be to long and they would hangup.

I also have a skype-in number that forwards to this number which also works fine. This normally takes about 15 seconds before my phone starts ringing.

Old
  (#32)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-03-2007, 12:23

Wow! I would think 3 -5 rings is pretty long for a lot of people and they will probably hang up.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#33)
tivoboy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 15% - 11-03-2007, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
As an American who just had to have more passport pages glued into his passport I resent the implication that we are all provincial Bafoons. Unfortunately, however, I have met some Americans who have led credence to this story. My wife was working on helping one of her organizations setup up a conference in Canada and some of the e-mails they received were a stitch. My favorite were the ones about whether they needed to only drink bottled water, avoid salads, and soft shelled fruits when dining in Toronto.

I forward a US number to my sim dejour and it works great. The problem comes when someone tries to send an SMS to that number.
less than 15% of the US population have passports. That says something, don't it?

Old
  (#34)
jeffharris (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 11-03-2007, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
less than 15% of the US population have passports. That says something, don't it?
Actually, I heard that stat, too. But, when I did a little Google research (which I think eliminates the need for higher education!) the actual range is not so exact, and kind of vague -- from about 15% to over 20% in some stats. Anyway, you think that's a low stat, but, when you think of how many billions of people are starving, as opposed to the not-so-many-more billions total people on the earth, THAT is an amazing stat.

PS -- I can't keep a passport for the 10 years. I have my latest 6 years, THREE inserts of extra pages, and, it is about to fall apart.

And salads should be avoided EVERYWHERE ... they suck - admit it, it's just filler!.. Toronto included ..

Back to SIMs .......

Old
  (#35)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-03-2007, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Wow! I would think 3 -5 rings is pretty long for a lot of people and they will probably hang up.
This is the answer skype gave me:

The call forwarding time depends on many factors:
If the number of users logged into Skype is more than 9 mln, call forwarding tends to be a bit delayed.
Also, call forwarding depends on the load of the carrier of the phone that the call is forwarded to.

So it seems as if skype does have capacity problems when more than 9 million users are logged in.

As said i have tested it several times now using call forwarding but it can take to long, 40 seconds was the record and around 10 seconds is the minimum.

Old
  (#36)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 27-03-2007, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbob View Post

So it seems as if skype does have capacity problems when more than 9 million users are logged in.

As said i have tested it several times now using call forwarding but it can take to long, 40 seconds was the record and around 10 seconds is the minimum.
The forwarding delays from Skype are nothing new, it's always been that way. I tried it out early last year http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/show...p?t=925&page=2
- it was just the same then. At the time Skype was running 3 - 4 million logged in users per day.

It was so slow I gave up and used alternatives. Ipkall.com to a sip account (which can then be forwarded) works fine (and can be set up with no monthly fees).

Old
  (#37)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-04-2007, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTuesday View Post
It was so slow I gave up and used alternatives. Ipkall.com to a sip account (which can then be forwarded) works fine (and can be set up with no monthly fees).
I do have several othe did numbers that can be forwarded but the bigest advantage of skype is that it just cost 1.7 cent per minute to call 07624 mobile. I did not find any other company that gives me these rates. 10 cents per minute to uk mobile seems to be a normal minimum.

If someone calls my skypename however the forwarding does not take a long time, 5-10 seconds, maximum

Old
  (#38)
krlk (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 28-04-2007, 21:31

+44 7624 on SKYPE costs 0,85PLN (polish zloty) it'a about 0,20Euro
ITS PITY that skype icrease prices in short time

My Phones: Nokia 6310i, 2310, 6280, SPV M650, SE T290i;
My VoIP Phones: wifi Linksys WIP330; wifi BELKIN (Skype), Linksys Gates
PostPaid: Orange Idea PL
PrePaids "Working": PL: SimPlus (plusgsm), PoP (orange), mbank(mvno plusgsm), snickers (mvno orange); INT: +447642 Easy Roam
PrePaids "Deceased": UK: O2, Vodafone, FreeGlobalSim, Sim4TheWorld;
My VoIP operators: skype, & BETAMAX