PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#301)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-09-2013, 09:19

US numbers are not available on Toggle NL...

Old
  (#302)
HappyCamp (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 13-09-2013, 04:46

My initial feedback on Toggle Mobile:

I arrived in Amsterdam and was there for about an hour. And then flew to Copenhagen.

I used the SIM Toolkit Menu to set it manually to the country I am in. As a note on Android 4.3 (and maybe earlier) you need to assign a PIN to your SIM card in order for the SIM Toolkit Menu to show up in your program list.

Making calls has worked just fine.

Data did not work out of the box in the Netherlands or Denmark. But once I configured the APN information on my Android Nexus 4 it worked just fine.
  • APN: data.lycamobile.co.uk
  • Username: lmuk
  • Password: plus

Calls to my US Toggle # are very unreliable. The phone will show a ring and then stop ringing or not even ring in my testing. But calling my Denmark # works just fine. I noticed this before I left the US also. So I have ended up switching Google Voice to call Localphone.com which forwards to my Denmark number at a cost of 2.9 cents/minute. We have two Toggle Mobile cards and they both are experiencing this issue (one iPhone and one Android).

T-Mobile $30 "Wal-mart plan". Unlimited data & text. 100 voice minutes per month.

Europe 2013 vacation:
Piranha-Mobile and Truphone plus the following
AT: T-Mobile, CZ: Tesco Mobile, DE: Lidl & Toggle Mobile, DK: Telia & Toggle Mobile, ES: Toggle Mobile, FR: Orange & Toggle Mobile, HU: T-Mobile, SE: Telenor & Toggle Mobile

Old
  (#303)
ChrisNeedsToKnow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 13-09-2013, 09:26

Toggle seems to be only for customers who care about every detail themselves.

A friend with a ToggleNL card had €14 credit. Next €10 for the monthly data package were substracted, leaving €4. Then a German number was due for being prolonged on the same day (€5).

Without warning/notice or anything the number was irrevocably cancelled.

I find it a tragedy to see how Toggle(Lyca) manages to downgrade their otherwise superior product into a state which leaves it close to useless.

They manage the difficult part (=setting something like this up), but then fail miserably when trying to turn this into a reliable, usable product.

Especially bad that Ms Kroes announced the "end of all roaming costs" by next year, since no-one will invest into a competitive (+usable/reliable) product next to Toggle, since all EU-SIMs should be similar by mid next year.

IMHO this is a tragedy.

Last edited by ChrisNeedsToKnow; 13-09-2013 at 09:43..

Old
  (#304)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 14-09-2013, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamp View Post
Calls to my US Toggle # are very unreliable.
Everything seems fine with my US number in different EU countries.

Did you tell support about your issues, so that they can improve the service?

Thanks for your feedback.

Old
  (#305)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 14-09-2013, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNeedsToKnow View Post

A friend with a ToggleNL card had €14 credit. Next €10 for the monthly data package were substracted, leaving €4. Then a German number was due for being prolonged on the same day (€5).

Without warning/notice or anything the number was irrevocably cancelled.
I always get an SMS 3 days before a number is about to expire. So I have 3 days to refill my credit if needed.

Didn't he get the SMS? I hope he told support about this issue.

It's good enough for me, but I think they should keep the deactivated number for you so that you can reclaim it within 30 days (or at least 10 days).

If we all complain to support perhaps they will improve this.

Quote:
I find it a tragedy to see how Toggle(Lyca) manages to downgrade their otherwise superior product into a state which leaves it close to useless.

They manage the difficult part (=setting something like this up), but then fail miserably when trying to turn this into a reliable, usable product.
They are sending an SMS 3 days before number deactivation and also send an SMS when the number is activated. I see no problem there, other than having a grace period which would be good to have.

I haven't used the UK data packages though and I agree that they should if the aren't sending an SMS for those (many other providers don't send an SMS before either, only to inform you of the charge).

What did support tell him?

Old
  (#306)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 15-09-2013, 12:46

I would prefer notifications about my toggle SIM to be also sent out by email as I only use it while travelling, so text messages won't reach me most of the time. The option to re-activate a local number for a couple of days after deactivation would also be great. Even greater would be if the fee for keeping our local numbers would be deducted immediately so there is no danger of one's credit to fall below the required amount and so to lose the number as it obviously happend to Chris.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#307)
HappyCamp (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 15-09-2013, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBK View Post
Everything seems fine with my US number in different EU countries.

Did you tell support about your issues, so that they can improve the service?

Thanks for your feedback.
I did contact them. They got back to me and said it was fixed. I tried it later on that same day and had the same issue. But today I tried it and my phone did ring. So at the moment it seems to be working.

T-Mobile $30 "Wal-mart plan". Unlimited data & text. 100 voice minutes per month.

Europe 2013 vacation:
Piranha-Mobile and Truphone plus the following
AT: T-Mobile, CZ: Tesco Mobile, DE: Lidl & Toggle Mobile, DK: Telia & Toggle Mobile, ES: Toggle Mobile, FR: Orange & Toggle Mobile, HU: T-Mobile, SE: Telenor & Toggle Mobile

Old
  (#308)
ChrisNeedsToKnow (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 18-09-2013, 14:20

I just used toggle in the UK. Coincidentally there was a "top-up-and-get-3-Gigs-free-data" campaign, so that suited my travel plan prefectly.

Drawback: I tried to tether my laptop to the mobile, and that didn´t work. No tethering, no VPN. I had to fall back to an old UK-SIM I happened to have handy.

Strangely websites that opened on the browser in my phone did not open on the tethered laptop, while very few pages (gmail, for example) did work.

On virginmobile everything worked, so it can´t have been Cameron´s new UK-censorship filter.

Anyone an idea what that could´ve been? Am I missing something?

Old
  (#309)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 19-09-2013, 00:06

Quote:

Drawback: I tried to tether my laptop to the mobile, and that didn´t work. No tethering, no VPN. I had to fall back to an old UK-SIM I happened to have handy.
Have you tried setting up a VPN on the mobile, and tethering afterwards?

This should circumvent any filtering and tethering blocks.

Furthermore, have you tried contacting support to ask if they are blocking tethering or if the problem is on their side?

Old
  (#310)
MBK (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 19-09-2013, 01:09

News from Toggle's twitter, September 16:
  • "Belgium will have local rates and also a local number hopefully this week or the following."
  • Data bundles outside UK: "We've been promised to have it available very soon but we still don't have any official date."
  • Italy, Portugal and Canada: "They all planned but it may take some time. Belgium comes next then maybe Italy. We will get there! "

Tags
netherlands, toggle