PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
valtom (Offline)

Default 06-09-2006, 16:19

Hello, I'm new to the forum and need some help from the experts so here I am. I will be traveling to Spain and France in October (spending most of my time in France and Spain) and I am looking for the ability to surf the internet at the fastest sppeds I can using a tethered mobile phone. I have read up on Wind's data plan and am looking for some clarification. Let me preface by saying that I haven't purchased a phone yet I will probably purchase either the Nokia 6230i or the LG U8330. I will choose between those phones when I better understand which one can reach higher speeds on the European networks I will be using.

Below are Ebay listings that provide info on the two devices:

Nokia 6230I

Notice that this is an EDGE Class 10 (4+1, 3+2) device with speed up to 236.8 kbps

LG U8330

Which one of these phones would I get the fastest conection on in the contries I will be spending the most time.

Also should I go with Wind and if I do how do I use the data plans along with voice or am I better off getting another SIM card. If anyone can tell me a better way of achieving my goal of fast internet surfing and phone use while in that part of europe I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks to the community,

Tom

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-09-2006, 17:33

The LG U8330 is a dual-mode GSM/UMTS phone, while the 6230 is GSM only.
With UMTS you can reach up to 384Kbps while with a GSM supporting EDGE you can get to 236.8 (theoretically).

Anyway in reality there's not a big difference between the 2, expecially if you use a web-accelerator software. The normal GPRS is anyway much slower, around 35Kbps.

In Spain as well as in France you find GSM/GPRS networks almost everywhere (3 per every country) and also UMTS networks should be present in bigger towns for sure.
No idea about EDGE, probably it's supported by some Spanish and French operators, but I don't know which ones. If so it should have a bigger coverage than UMTS.

Let's talk about Wind anyway... surely GPRS/EDGE works, while talking about UMTS I don't know if it works in France and Spain. I think it should, but I never tested it personally. Anyway both phones have GPRS too.

Between the 2 phones I'd go for the Nokia, but if you use it just as a modem also the LG can be ok. I've an LG U8110 which is mostly identical to the U8330 and I don't like it so much talking about messaging and software, but it works quite well.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
valtom (Offline)

Default 06-09-2006, 18:33

Are there any other phones that any of you guys recommend aside from those mentioned. Also are there phones capabile of both EDGE and UMTS data transmission?

-Tom

Old
  (#4)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 06-09-2006, 22:55

Yes I think all the Nokias "N" series have both EDGE and 3G if I'm not wrong.
You can get a 6630 quite for cheap by now, and it's a very good phone.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.

Old
  (#5)
Jibku (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 06-09-2006, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi
In Spain as well as in France you find GSM/GPRS networks almost everywhere (3 per every country) and also UMTS networks should be present in bigger towns for sure.
No idea about EDGE, probably it's supported by some Spanish and French operators, but I don't know which ones. If so it should have a bigger coverage than UMTS.
That's true, at least in France. You can get UMTS coverage with SFR or Orange Fr only in big cities, while EDGE is available from Bouygues Telecom and Orange Fr almost everywhere they have GSM coverage. (Wind's roaming agreements works with all 3 networks, including UMTS - at least with SFR : couldn't test with Orange Fr beacause they have no UMTS coverage in my area).

Which means that, with nearly the same connection speed, you get far better coverage with EDGE. I have a Nokia 9500 (GRPS/EDGE) and a PC Card (GPRS/UMTS). The PC Card is easier to use (just insert it in the computer), but I almost always use the Nokia (though it requires bluetooth adapter and setup) because of the EDGE very good coverage.

There actually are EDGE/UMTS phones, because networks operators who launched UMTS are expanding their networks with EDGE (Orange Fr) or planning to do so (SFR). I'm not sure it's worth buying one of those, at least for France : EDGE coverage and speed is enough!

Old
  (#6)
valtom (Offline)

Default 07-09-2006, 00:05

Ok, thanks a lot, now that we covered the phone issue what about a SIM card should I go with Wind, remember I plan on being in France and Spain. And if so, can I use the Wind data SIM card for voice calls. If this is possible what are the tariffs (is therea tariff chart avaible to be posted here or view online). Iwill be calling back to the USA quite often as well as Spain and France. Am I better off buying UM etc.. SIM card in addition to a Wind card? And if so Which International SIm card would be best for voice. Thanks for your help.

-Tom

Old
  (#7)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 07-09-2006, 08:47

If you click on National Operators on this site and then chose Italy and Wind you have all the details of Wind's offer, including International Roaming rates chart. Anyway they are expensive.

United Mobile surely has by far better rates to call and receive calls from the USA in France and Spain (and most of Europe). You can see everything clicking on International Operators link always up here on this site!

Old
  (#8)
valtom (Offline)

Default 07-09-2006, 14:51

Ok, I'm convinced that the best option for me is to purchase either a Geosim (although I don't know if my new Nokia 6630 is compatible with their SIM according to there website), or a Globalsim (they have slighty higher tariffs than Geosim),and a Wind SIm with a Data Plan. I see that the Wind SIM purchase service is suspended until 27th August. Is it still suspended? If it is is theri any other way fro me to get my hands on one without an Italian Fiancial Number. Many Thanks -Tom

Old
  (#9)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-09-2006, 16:20

I just purchased GlobalSim myself. When Yackie stopped working. A few observations: You get the sim for free (very fast free shipping too). So you only pay for the credit. You can forward the number to any number in the world for free, and it does not cost to check VM. Most other sims charge for these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtom
Ok, I'm convinced that the best option for me is to purchase either a Geosim (although I don't know if my new Nokia 6630 is compatible with their SIM according to there website), or a Globalsim (they have slighty higher tariffs than Geosim),and a Wind SIm with a Data Plan. I see that the Wind SIM purchase service is suspended until 27th August. Is it still suspended? If it is is theri any other way fro me to get my hands on one without an Italian Fiancial Number. Many Thanks? -Tom

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#10)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 07-09-2006, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtom
Is it still suspended?
Yes, I'm sorry. Actually it's impossible for me to buy&sell simcards.
In Italy now we had new (crappy) laws about the registration of simcards and I don't have enough time for activating/sendind simcards, sorry. So thanks to a friend we can manage for our readers a direct service. You have just to wait. Maybe only 1 week

Bye, Andrea

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG