PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#71)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 03-04-2009, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
"The SIM that doesn't know you're travelling (It thinks you're stuck in Belgium)."
LOL!

If I were them I really would take this statement off their website for now:
Quote:
I have seen other travel SIM services. Why is MAXroam better?

The common method for all “alternative roaming” SIM’s is to originate their service in somewhere like Latvia, Estonia or Liechtenstein, or via a UK-based toll-free phone number. This approach doesn’t work very well. We know because our first product “Roam4Free” used this method.

The problem is that people have to call a strange country code just to call you. It just isn’t intuitive and it isn’t user-friendly. With MAXroam we have made the service work as you would expect ...
Latvia, Estonia, Liechtenstein... or Belgium!

Old
  (#72)
mingelli (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 03-04-2009, 10:01

Is this problem of getting DID numbers affecting older clients receiving replacements cards only or also new customers ordering new cards now? I contacted support and they didnt tell me of any problem of getting DID.

Old
  (#73)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 03-04-2009, 11:30

It's the same for everyone as far as I know. The replacement SIM cards are exactly the same as what the new customers get, and the switch on the back end (for diverting the DID's) is the same as well.

Old
  (#74)
vman916 (Offline)

Default 03-04-2009, 22:00

I am leaving tonight for London and just got my MaxRoam last night. My number showed up as part of my account this morning, but I still cannot place call or receive them. My phone was the one from them that was suppose to have 15 Euro credit, plus I also purchased an additional 50, but cannot send a text to the 1966 to activate it.

I have put an issue into support but have not heard back. Anybody have any ideas?

Also, if I need to purchase a back-up sim at Heathrow to get me through, anyone recommend a kind to get. I am also going to about 6 other countries around the Mediterranean.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Old
  (#75)
powerlifter (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 04-04-2009, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman916 View Post

Also, if I need to purchase a back-up sim at Heathrow to get me through, anyone recommend a kind to get. I am also going to about 6 other countries around the Mediterranean.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
At Heathrow there is a Vodaphone store in terminal one. If you are flying any of the American
airlines you will not arrive at terminal one. You will have to go to your departing terminal. I think that Dixions sells sim card our UK friends will know better. You may even be able to get one at boots which is a pharmacy. I use Vodaphone hope this helps.

[size=1]Prepaid cards, Moldova Tempo, Kyrg Republic BiTel, India Hutch, Bulgaria Mtel, Vodafone, UK. Etisalat. UAE. Afghan Wireless, Afghanistan. Three, UK. T-mobile post-paid.

Phones Gsm Iphone6+

Old
  (#76)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-04-2009, 23:47

When I was in the UK a couple of years ago on an Aviation museum trip, I remember the British Airways terminal my flight landed in had a sim card vending machine by the exit with multiple carriers (I used my UM+ card instead but remembered the odd machine). Probably not the best deal, but convenient if you need a card ASAP after you land. Other thoughts are a mobile phone shop (several on High St. in London and just about everywhere else due to tough competition), or buy one for a few bucks off ebay if you need the mobile number in advance of travel.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#77)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 06-04-2009, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
It's the same for everyone as far as I know. The replacement SIM cards are exactly the same as what the new customers get, and the switch on the back end (for diverting the DID's) is the same as well.
I had the same problem. I ordered a card with 15 Euro with the "Yackie"discount and got an Israeli card that didn't work. They sent the new Belgium card as a replacement which does place calls but I have no way to add a DID number. Nor can I dial out without using the alternate dialing method with a prefix number.

At least they responded to my emails and gave me a functioning sim card, even if it doesn't have the DID number which would make it more useful to me. I probably could get around this by using a third-party call forwarding service, but the whole point of a prepaid sim card like this is to have an all-in-one simple solution at a reasonable price.

Let's hope they can work out the bugs. It still sounds more promising than my dead Yackie card.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Old
  (#78)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 07-04-2009, 03:13

If direct dial is still not working for you, you may want to try another phone. May be a basic one and not a smart phone. I only tested it with my samsung blackjack and Moto SLVR L7. Intially I had to use the alternate dialing method on both of them. Now, direct dial works on the L7.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#79)
Grampa (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 07-04-2009, 05:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Intially I had to use the alternate dialing method on both of them. Now, direct dial works on the L7.
I had the same experience: at first direct dialing didn't work, now it does. It might be worth another try.

Old
  (#80)
motif1 (Offline)

Default Buy now, you will be roaming in your dreams - 10-04-2009, 10:52

Local DID numbers still not available.

The Maxroam staff is pretty good at calling all of my support tickets "resolved" and closing them. They REALLY close it, they make sure it says "this ticket is resolved and CANNOT be reopened" ! They have to shoot it twice to make sure it stays dead, or they know it will get up and start walking again, because of course it's NOT resolved.

They must be having a near-death experience, their revenues must be close to zero. I have a card I could not even use yet because no DID, fortunately I bought the cheapest plan and of course haven't paid for any airtime yet, because the card is useless to me without a local DID. I can't imagine that anybody is buying airtime.

If I were them, I might quietly remove from the front page of the web site the part that screams, BUY NOW, YOU WILL BE ROAMING IN 5 MINUTES.

Tags
maxroam