PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 16-07-2006, 01:34

http://o2roaming.co.uk/

35p = ?0.50 a minute, for incoming and outgoing calls, on contract and prepaid (contract with ITS stays at 28p receive)

Compared to most global SIMs own tariffs, and even using some independent callback with some single country SIMs*, this could be actually cheaper for calling mobiles. FL mobiles with CBW still cheaper though.

* eg Enlinea France mobile to UK mobile costs 69c, though Voipfone would be around 20p to 25p.

Old
  (#2)
BBB (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 16-07-2006, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
http://o2roaming.co.uk/

35p = ?0.50 a minute, for incoming and outgoing calls, on contract and prepaid (contract with ITS stays at 28p receive)

This is still way too expensive and it is only a promotion until 30 Sept '06.

I can divert a geographic voip number to my IOM sim and it costs me about UKP 0.10 and that works across most of europe.

To callers it is a real geographic no , I pick up the divert charge and everyone is happy.

I would say somewhere between UKP 0.10 and 0.15 would be fair to receive
calls across europe. Don't forget the mobile co is making a good profit on the first leg of the call as well

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 16-07-2006, 14:14

I did not say it was fair - only that it is cheaper than using eg UM or the others on their own tariffs to call various mobile destinations, and it is also cheaper than using some callback operators to mobiles from some single country SIMs.

Some people posting in or reading this forum baulk at the complication of using double callback arrangements, call forwarding etc. In addition the various global SIMs tend to have a high cost premium over the credit actually included at the start eg ?35 for ?5, so some people intending lower amounts of use may be interested to read this. In addition, even the experienced members here will sometimes refer to having more than one possibility, with an eventual catch-all fallback sometimes being Mobal, which is O2 based, but with rather higher tariffs at the moment.

Thank you for your suggestion about 10p forwarding, but you may may find that I have written some on this already. At the moment I have free forwarding from a UK mobile, a UK landline number that forwards for 2c per minute, a US number for 2.5p or 8.4p (15c), and callback for outgoing calls that costs between 3p and 9.5p per minute. In fact today and on the next two weekends it might be possible to make a one-hour call for 10p total, but that would be pretty convoluted to explain, as it involves half a dozen networks or so; using the web-based callback from various Finarea companies, perhaps a free call would be possible on the same days.

As far as a fair cost for an incoming call, O2 had already announced the abolition of incoming EU roaming tariffs for some contracts or options later in the year, and had at the same time already foreshadowed a cheaper flat rate tariff, which appears to be this.

Maybe it will only last until September, or will be extended or superseded. So rather than cynicism, I'd say it is a significant move in the right direction, eg cutting a tariff to 35p from ?1.49 or ?1.99, and will already be useful for some customers that do not intend high levels of use, and might just occasionally view some of the discussion here as rather too complicated. Or for others that want a back up in case the other options have a few glitches from time to time.