PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default Global Roaming (former Celtrek) - 29-04-2009, 08:25

The offer by Global Roaming with Belgian prefix looks very interesting, even if it has no free incoming calls, but outgoing calls are cheap, they have a huge coverage and data in really many countries.
What I couldn't find on the website is how data is billed: 1/10/100/300KB increments? If it were 1 or 10KB increments it would be very good to use with programs like MobiSMS and also to check some e-mail. Some of you have news about it?
Also the voice billing at 60/10 is not that bad...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#2)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 29-04-2009, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
The offer by Global Roaming with Belgian prefix looks very interesting, even if it has no free incoming calls, but outgoing calls are cheap, they have a huge coverage and data in really many countries.
What I couldn't find on the website is how data is billed: 1/10/100/300KB increments? If it were 1 or 10KB increments it would be very good to use with programs like MobiSMS and also to check some e-mail. Some of you have news about it?
Also the voice billing at 60/10 is not that bad...
We got 2 SIM cards today. They didnt come over from the shipping department yet though. I will post my test report here soon- next week the cards travel to India as well.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#3)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default first test with globalroaming - 29-04-2009, 14:14

So now i have the two SIM-Cards on my desk.
They come in a small envelope with some photocopied short manual with all important data including GPRS setup.
The Phonenumber is written by hand on a small hand-cut piece of paper.

The SIM registered to Eplus network by default.

Incoming call works well, charged 10 us-ct
SMS incoming and outgoing works well outgoing charged with 32 us-ct
Outbound call to german landline worked via callback and was charged 34 us-ct instead of 24 us-ct as in the rate calculator.

Now i tried GPRS. Eplus is a "Challenger" Network partner of Base and the rate should be 3,98US$/MB as on the rate sheet.
First connect: 4kb, charged 50us-ct. So i thought ok, 128kb billing stepps.
second connect: 400kb, charged 11,5US$ !!! 30$/MB !!! That is definitely NOT like in the rate sheet.

I will contact their customer care later today and find out where is the problem.

... to be continued ...

Chris

Old
  (#4)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 29-04-2009, 14:16

I have not tried mine yet, except to receive a SMS or two. There are some questions about this service that even GR can not answer yet. They list coverage on cruise ships, Cuba, BVI, Thruaya satellite and other places but can't yet tell you the rates in those places. The old system had a nifty online managment service which listed all calls, where the phone was roaming and even forwarded voicemail to an e-mail address. So far, nothing like that seems to be available with the new system.

Old
  (#5)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 29-04-2009, 14:24

by the way, this is the GPRS tariff list for the Base.be prepaid cards:
emagiC CMS.Net - Error message

Challanger networks 2.5€/mb, 1kb rounding.

Old
  (#6)
Grampa (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 29-04-2009, 15:51

This product looks a lot like the one from MAXRoam. The website says you can choose your own local number, but I can't find where you would do that, what the number would cost, etc. Any info on this?

Old
  (#7)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 29-04-2009, 16:42

I believe, just like maxroam once said, you get one default local number (USA, France, UK and some other countries). At some point during the purchase or registration process, you will be given an option to do this. At least that is the way it was with maxroam. Of course, no local numbers with maxroam at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
This product looks a lot like the one from MAXRoam. The website says you can choose your own local number, but I can't find where you would do that, what the number would cost, etc. Any info on this?

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#8)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 29-04-2009, 17:17

the paper leaflet on the globalroaming card said that they can not yet assign landline DID numbers of your choice. If you need a US number you should call customer care.
The physical number of the SIM cards are from Base Belgium +32-48...

Chris

Old
  (#9)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 29-04-2009, 17:54

It sure seems like both Celtrek and Maxroam are having a hard getting the DID's functioninig on their sims. IMHO, without the DID's, their sim cards are not as attaractive. Since your pay for incoming calls everywhere. So, assuming I set up my own forwarding via my DID (voicestick, les.net, etc.), I will pay for the forwarding to the +32 number and also get charged for incoming.

I hope they realize that the global roaming sim maket is a very dynamic market, and only the fittest, and those that can act quickly will survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
the paper leaflet on the globalroaming card said that they can not yet assign landline DID numbers of your choice. If you need a US number you should call customer care.
The physical number of the SIM cards are from Base Belgium +32-48...

Chris

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Old
  (#10)
bbob (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 29-04-2009, 19:16

@Bossman, I would advice you and eveyone to buy your own did number and forward the call. The forwading does cost you money but typically this is lower in price than having it forwarded my say maxroam or yackie (in the past)

If you have a uk based numer free roaming card you should be able to setup call forwarding for around 10 eurocents. So you pay just 10 eurocents per minute to receive calls.

The advantage of having your own did of great as it seems you can expect to almost change numbers every 1 or 2 years whenever the sims platform goed out of business. See problems in the past iom, yackie on israel platform, tan iceland, same for maxroam.
When you change sims just change the forwarding and your free to choose any sim you want.