PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
noddy (Offline)

Default Re-Activating Vodafone Sim - 25-07-2011, 18:37

Hi,

I bought a Vodafone Italy sim when I was in Venice last year. I have just tried it in my phone and it is saying SOS calls only - the sim is less than 12 months old so it should still be valid?

How can I re-activate the sim (I know the phone number) and top it up?

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
flychr (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 28-07-2011, 23:57

I think you have to be in Italy to do it! chr

Old
  (#3)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-08-2011, 10:54

If you cannot make calls probably you are out of credit. You can top up it with a Vodafone UK refill.
But if it says only SOS calls it's probably deactivated. Vodafone in Italy deactivates prepaid cards after 11 months, not 12.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#4)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 10-08-2011, 13:08

"Emergency Calls Only" or "SOS only" just means that the SIM registration on the roamed network has been rejected by the HLR. This can happen if you are out of credit or your account is frozen. "Untrgistered SIM" is generally the kiss of death.

Old
  (#5)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 11-08-2011, 11:36

No, if you are out of credit it registers on the foreign network with no problem and you can receive SMS (free). So I suppose the sim is dead...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#6)
borjeg (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 13-08-2011, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effendi View Post
If you cannot make calls probably you are out of credit. You can top up it with a Vodafone UK refill.
But if it says only SOS calls it's probably deactivated. Vodafone in Italy deactivates prepaid cards after 11 months, not 12.
To my knowledge the SIM cards are active for 11 + 1 months. The last month only to be recharged. No outgoing traffic at all.

Old
  (#7)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 14-08-2011, 07:40

Call Vodafone and ask them to reactivate it. They were able to do this for me (about 4 years ago, to a SIM that had just recently expired).

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell