PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
sleepy (Offline)
Official Member

Default Orange Mobicarte Cles 3G+ data - 27-10-2010, 04:17

I was looking for data access in France and I found this option that I have not found mentioned here.

I found the Pass 3G+ by Orange.
In principle it is sold together with a USB key, but since we are getting collectors of USB keys (I now have 3, some even saved from ending in other people dustbins...) they do sell it even unbundled.

They will tell you that it does not work in a mobile. Of course, in a correctly (nothing unusual) configured mobile it does...

Prices are not totally low, but in my opinion it is a reverse of trend for France.
For 10 Euros you get one day unllimited traffic (till midnight of the same day, so buy it at 5AM!) + 5 Euros credit.
This buys you 75 MB data traffic credit (15 MB/Euro). You can top up and get more credit+ usual bonus over some recharge credits.
Credit expires in short time. The more you buy, the more it lasts.

There are also special recharges for 1 day, 2 days and 7 days (18 Euro, 1GB traffic), but I have not been able yet to get one (resellers seem not to have it and online I could not find trace of these options yet. Searching...).

Not exciting, but bearable...

Top-ups can be done online (uncommonly very easy registration process). SIM lasts for 1 year and you can make it survive this way.

No way to check credit other than online in personal page (data only SIM, no phone calls, only inbound SMS: be sure to let them tell you your phone number at Orange shop, otherwise there is no way you can discover it other than going back to a Orange shop!).
SMS get to your mobile when you reach 20% if residual credit and end of credit. With no credit, you are redirected free of charge to a web page where you can recharge online with CC (cool!).

Credit can also be used at wifi spots around France and the world (at costs I have to discover, but I have always envied French customers all over France and Europe that could so easily access these services).

For the moment with these conditions I am using it opposite to the intended aim: free wifi in the hotel and Orange in my mobile (and tethering PDA) around Paris (low traffic).

IT CAN BE USED FOR MAIL WITH NO TRICKS!

BUT:

Opera seems not to work very well. It seems the system is not very keen to digest Opera's proxy service. Sometimes it works, sometimes (most times) it does not. Pity... but we can survive.

Google Maps does work.

Connection configuration:

APN: orange.fr
User: orange
Pass: orange

Still experimenting...

A bien tot!

Sleepy

Old
  (#2)
eugeniod1995 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 20-12-2010, 16:53

So I can don't recharge the SIM for 12 months?

Old
  (#3)
sleepy (Offline)
Official Member

Default 20-12-2010, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniod1995 View Post
So I can don't recharge the SIM for 12 months?
Exactly. The SIM is valid 12 months after your last top-up.
But not the credit. The credit expires after some time, depending the amount of your top-up.
My SIM is now with 0 credit, but it is still active. I need to make some minimal top-up every year to keep it alive.

Cheers,
Stefano

Old
  (#4)
eugeniod1995 (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 25-12-2010, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Exactly. The SIM is valid 12 months after your last top-up.
But not the credit. The credit expires after some time, depending the amount of your top-up.
My SIM is now with 0 credit, but it is still active. I need to make some minimal top-up every year to keep it alive.

Cheers,
Stefano
Thank you very much

Old
  (#5)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-06-2011, 20:26

Is this offer still available in Orange Shops? What should I ask for?

Old
  (#6)
tux (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 24-06-2011, 18:49

Nobody? I'll be in France tomorrow