PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#101)
toofrequentflyer (Offline)

Default 16-06-2012, 11:21

Just to add my recent (current) experience on Lidl and Fonic: I tried to buy a Lidl SIM but the only shop within practical walking distance said that they did not have any. This brought to mind some other reports that Lidl shops are prone to being sold out of these SIMs. Instead of going far out of the way to the next nearest Lidl -- and possibly finding they also were out of stock -- I bought a Fonic SIM from a shop next to my hotel (you can search for shop location at FONIC -- Partnersuche )

In an absolute sense Lidl is the best value for reasons already discussed here. But if you are in Germany for only a few days and put some value on your time, you might consider the relative ease of buying a Fonic SIM to be worth sacrificing a little higher cost for service.

I was a little worried about the possibility that my Fonic SIM could eventually be de-activated because the confirmation letter would be returned by my hotel. But I activated the Fonic SIM on Wednesday night (remembering to give Inquisitor's number for the referral ) and the confirmation letter arrived at my hotel on Friday. Quite impressive. So now I have a German number that I can use on future trips, even if it is a year or more later.

The Fonic SIM has perforations so that it can be broken out to micro-SIM size but I have not tried that.

Old
  (#102)
stefan0325 (Offline)

Default 21-06-2012, 06:06

you could have just kept your Lidl SIM and used a Fonic voucher to recharge it. You can buy Fonic vouchers at every gas station and supermarket

Old
  (#103)
dclobato (Offline)

Default 22-06-2012, 19:58

Hi,

I've been to Munich in 2009 and bought a LIDL mobile SIM card. I'll visit Frankfurt this year and found that my SIM-card is still working \o/

The problem is that I do not have credits on it anymore. Actually, LIDL website says that a have €-6 in credit :-/

Is there anyway to buy credits for it from abroad, or I can only find vouchers in Germany? Is there a place on Frankfurt airport to buy a voucher?

Thanks a lot

Old
  (#104)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 22-06-2012, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclobato View Post
Is there anyway to buy credits for it from abroad
See http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/euro...ps-online.html . If you don't manage with a non-European credit card you can PM me, I can help

Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.

Old
  (#105)
stefan0325 (Offline)

Default 22-06-2012, 23:10

As luck may have it, I live in Frankfurt. I am not too familiar with the shops inside the airport terminal, but I imagine you can get a voucher at any kiosk there. I do know for sure though that there is a REWE market inside the "Squaire" above the long distance train station at the airport. It's on the 3rd floor I believe and open 7 days a week from 5am to 1am. Otherwise, you can take a commuter train from the regional train station to central train station and they sell the cards all over the train station.

PS: remember to buy a Fonic card, because no one sells LIDL cards. Also don't look for a sticker on the door that says "we sell mobile vouchers" because most people know that every place sells them, so they don't put up stickers. Any supermarket, tobacco shop, and newspaper stand will have them.

Old
  (#106)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 23-06-2012, 00:08

Actually you can search for nearby recharge voucher sellers at https://www.fonic.de/html/filialfinder.html (enter a city or postal code and chose "Aufladebon" from the drop down-menu).

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#107)
dclobato (Offline)

Default 29-06-2012, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan0325 View Post
I do know for sure though that there is a REWE market inside the "Squaire" above the long distance train station at the airport.
I'll try this one when I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan0325 View Post
PS: remember to buy a Fonic card, because no one sells LIDL cards. Also don't look for a sticker on the door that says "we sell mobile vouchers" because most people know that every place sells them, so they don't put up stickers. Any supermarket, tobacco shop, and newspaper stand will have them.
Thanks for this info

Old
  (#108)
dclobato (Offline)

Default 29-06-2012, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
See http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/euro...ps-online.html . If you don't manage with a non-European credit card you can PM me, I can help
I'll try this one before the trip. IF it fails, I'll try to buy the voucher at the airport. Thanks!

Old
  (#109)
dclobato (Offline)

Default 29-06-2012, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
Actually you can search for nearby recharge voucher sellers at https://www.fonic.de/html/filialfinder.html (enter a city or postal code and chose "Aufladebon" from the drop down-menu).
Very nice! Found a seller just across the street of my hotel

Old
  (#110)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default Lidl Smart tariff - 23-08-2012, 10:05

A word of warning:

Since Monday Lidl also sells SIM cards with the "Smart" tariff (300MB + 400 domestic minutes or SMS for € 9.95/month) preactivated (indicated by red sticker on wrapping) which requires a German bank account for debiting of the monthly fee and so cannot be activated by visitors without such. Therefore explicitly ask for a SIM card in the "Classic" tariff!

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com