PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old
  (#1)
cerebra (Offline)

Default Italy honeymoon - Confused - iPhone 3GS unlocked...what now? - 22-09-2009, 21:07

Hey everyone, this is my first post here so be gentle.

First, I've read quite a few threads here on this topic, including the sticky regarding different prepaid plans in Italy. I'll admit to being slightly confused by all of the options. I've also read others requests here, but none seemed to confirm that the answers would work for me.

My Situation:
Going to Italy in mid-October for our honeymoon. I have a 3GS iPhone that is Jailbroken and Unlocked (via redsn0w and ultrasn0w). I would like to get a prepaid Sim card that has tons of data, and reasonable rates to the US.

I'm fairly certain that I either want to go with WIND or TIM, and I don't mind paying a bit extra for TIM if their coverage is better in the hill country in Chianti (Tuscany area) as I'd love to have access to google maps out there via my phone.

I want everything to go right on the honeymoon, and I'm just looking for some helpful advice on what to do. I'm arriving in rome (FCO) then going to the train station and taking a train to Florence, 4 nights, then chianti 4 nights then Rome again for 5 nights and we're flying out.

I was wondering if someone could just spell out exactly what I need and how to get it.

For example:
After landing in FCO and traveling into Rome, near the train station, find a TIM/WIND booth and get a sim card. What package do I need to get at that point to have cheaper calls to US and a good data plan (a few GB's maybe). Any APN considerations? Etc.

Any advice would be appreciated to make our honeymoon go as smoothly as possible.