PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
snidely (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 02-08-2014, 01:42

In the U.S. you can get a free number from Google Voice. You do have a vast choice of numbers - but the first 3 digits (area code) is identified as being from a particular geographic area.
Initially, the number, when set up, has to be pointed at a "real" number. I think it has to be a cell number, but not sure. I have two GV numbers - to give me a geographic number in two other locations (San Francisco and Miami). You could keep the GV number forever, even if you cancelled your cell phone number after GV is set up.
It is only available from Google in the U.S. Has been around for many years. If you set up the great GV app on your phone, you can set the phone to route outgoing calls automatically via the GV system. [Or limit the GV routing just to intl calls, only. 2¢/min. to lst world countries - a couple cents more to others. Calls to mobiles cost more, of course.

Make use of T-M's UMA/wifi free calling from any place in the world with access to wifi. I use an LG G6, wife an S7)
A/o Oct 20, 2013 no need for intl prepaid as T-Mobile U.S. includes voice roaming at 20¢/min (in and out)., unlimited text (in and out), and unlimited data in 140+ countries.

My Plan -[6 lines] U.S. T-Mobile unlimited minutes (incoming and outgoing), unlimited text, fast data on each line. that $145/mo. total! . (In U.S. no surcharge for calling a cell.) If a line exceeds 2G of data in a month, pay $10 more for that line. [That only happens a couple times/year.