PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#11)
AndreA (Offline)
Administrator
Prepaid Genius

Default 02-02-2008, 14:47

Just called Effendi, last day in Japan... anyway good communication 3 Italy -> Travelsim (roaming on Docomo), just a little delay

ANTPEAΣ AΠO THN ΦΛΩPENTIA
My Phones:
iPhone 2G, E65, N70, P910 DVB-H, A835, 6630, 7600, 6210, S55, T39
"Working" PrePaids: IT: Wind, H3G, Vodafone, Tim, CoopVoce, Poste Mobile, Telepass Mobile,
Uno Mobile - CH: OrangeClick - RSM: Prima Easy - UK: O2, H3G - INT: United Mobile, TravelSim, ICQ SIM
"Deceased" PrePaids: IT: Blu - AT: H3G - FR: Itineris - ES: Yoigo - GR: Cosmote, Frog - HR: Tele2 - UK: Virgin, Orange TO: UCall - NZ: Vodafone - IN: Hutch - CAN: Fido - USA: T-Mobile - INT: Travelfone, CallKey, Globalsim, HopMobile, GT, 09, Mobal, Yackiemobile

ITALIAN TLC BLOG

Old
  (#12)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 14-02-2008, 18:50

And you've payed not very much!

[COLOR="Magenta"]"Working" PrePaids: Wind, Vodafone, CoopVoce, , Travelsim (2), 02 Irish (2)
My best sim?--> Wind +39-328
My phones: Samsung Galaxy Next S5570

Old
  (#13)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-02-2008, 07:13

I think he payed almost nothing, just 9 cent/min to call me, and I didn't pay a single cent to receive.

BTW some news from Japan: the first MVNO is coming, JCI, roaming on NTT DoCoMo's 3g network, all information here.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#14)
tiga31328 (Offline)

Default 15-02-2008, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
Charlie,
I guess my response is a little late to be of any use. I'm in Japan right now (with my new e61 ) and use both Celtrek and 09 here, along with my T-Mobile US postpaid. 09 is free incoming and Celtrek is reasonable, considering the forwarding from the US. Even my T-Mobile with the old international rates is reasonable for incoming calls at $0.33/min.

Still I find myself carying the mobile more than using it. Everywhere has high-speed Internet and most of my calls home are made by VOIP.
But you are in time to help me. I am going to Japan the first week of April and want to have a phone with me while I am traveling.

What I have:

Cingular Tilt(HTC) Unlocked, I have verified that it will function with networks in Japan.

What I would like to be able to do in Japan:

Have a Prepaid SIM that I can order, receive, and test to work prior to traveling.
Have a number that US caller's can call, or that I can route my International 800# to.
Be able to call from Japan to the US.
Be able to call from Japan within Japan.
Text messaging/VoiceMail, etc. are okay, and optional.

My biggest question is what is a trusthworthy SIM that I can get ahead of time, that will work in Japan, and that isn't extremely expensive.

I checked the CelTrek mentioned in your post and it looks okay, that their site has not been udpated in nearly a year, and all the typo's concerns me slightly. Do you recommend CelTrek for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I have been looking around online for a month and can't seem to find the right information/SIM to use.

I have also considered just getting a SIM in Tokyo when I arrive, but that negates having everything in place for me to receive calls(people knowing the number to dial).

Thanks again,
Patrick

Old
  (#15)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 15-02-2008, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiga31328 View Post
I have also considered just getting a SIM in Tokyo when I arrive, but that negates having everything in place for me to receive calls(people knowing the number to dial).
You cannot buy a prepaid card in Japan, you can only rent a phone with a contract for some time.

BTW I was in Japan at the end of January and I used Travelsim with no problems. Rates are rather cheap (much cheaper than Softbank prepaid!) and service quality is good.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#16)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 15-02-2008, 12:58

Effendi, Travelsim goes to roaming with?

[COLOR="Magenta"]"Working" PrePaids: Wind, Vodafone, CoopVoce, , Travelsim (2), 02 Irish (2)

Old
  (#17)
maccoy (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 16-02-2008, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedeprovenza View Post
Effendi, Travelsim goes to roaming with?
Travelsim roams on NTT-DoCoMo.

Prepaid
I: Vodafone, Wind, 3; F: Bouygues Telecom; M: Melita; INT: Travelsim, Zeromobile.

Old
  (#18)
fedeprovenza (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-02-2008, 23:15

Thanks maccoy, french friend

Old
  (#19)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 18-02-2008, 06:18

Quote:
Cingular Tilt(HTC) Unlocked, I have verified that it will function with networks in Japan.
Not familiar with that phone. If it has UMTS-2100 it should. Otherwise, don't count on it.
Quote:
I checked the CelTrek mentioned in your post and it looks okay, that their site has not been udpated in nearly a year, and all the typo's concerns me slightly. Do you recommend CelTrek for me?
All I can say is that it has worked for me. It only roams on SoftBank, not NTT. So you don't get the benefit of double coverage. Not such a big deal since SoftBank's (Vodafone, JPHONE) coverage has gotten much better over the last four years.

One negative has to do with making local calls. Since the call routes (I assume) from Japan to Israel to the US and back there can be a noticable delay in the conversation. I recommended CelTrek on one friend who used it for local calls but his wife refused to talk on the phone. The time delay bothered her that much. I would assume that the same would be true for all international prepaids that are using a callback to connect local calls.

This is one problem you will not have with a local rental.
Quote:
Renting a SIM from the SoftBank kiosk is a good option for many visitors. If you have a forwarding system in place you can activate it over the Internet before you leave the airport.

Old
  (#20)
bones_boy (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 21-02-2008, 20:50

I was at Narita airport two weeks ago and Celtrek worked nicely. I wholeheartedly recommend them, their CS is pretty responsive.

I use an unlocked AT&T Tilt as well.

There was a noticeable delay, but it was way worse in Russia (Vladivostok and Sakhalinsk).

Tags
japan