PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
abc (Offline)

Default New to GSM... will this work? - 23-07-2011, 06:49

First of all, a huge thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the excellent contributions. I would be completely lost if not for the information here. It's amazing how greatly plans in Europe differ from those in the US (I'm jealous!).

I think I've read (most) everything relevant, but I just wanted to confirm that all my information is correct. I got some conflicting information from different parts of the forum, so hopefully my observations can be put to some use after somebody sets me straight I also have a few (probably unnecessary) questions that I couldn't find elsewhere.

I have an unlocked BlackBerry Storm 9530 that I intend to use while traveling to Rome and Florence in a few weeks. I primarily want to use it for email and Google Maps, but I will also probably be making some local calls, and maybe 1 or 2 calls back to the US.

After looking over the carrier options, I think I'll be going with TIM. Coverage sounds good, the data options are reasonable, and I like the fact that I can just send a text to activate the option (I won't know any Italian until I can access Google Translate ).

So here's what I intend to do:

1 - Obtain unofficial Codice Fiscale. Done.
2 - Arrive in Rome. Get to Termini Station. Look for TIM or generic wireless shop.
3 - Tell them I want a "carta prepagata" for TIM. Show them my Codice Fiscale and passport.
4 - Wait a while for the SIM to be activated (How do I know when it is?)
5 - SMS to 40916: TIMSMARTBB ON. This will get me either unlimited data as mentioned at PrePaidGSM: TIM (Italy), or 250MB/week as mentioned in the sticky.
6 - SMS to 40916: SALDO TIMSMARTBB to ensure that the option is active.
7 - Change the APN on my Storm to blackberry.net, leave username and password blank. This was mentioned by Effendi in a few posts, but the sticky didn't mention an alternative APN for BlackBerry.
8 - Find a Tabacchi shop. Tell them my phone number, and how much I want to put on the SIM card. (Can I do this right after buying the card? Or do I have to wait until it is active?)

Please let me know if I left anything out, or if I am mistaken about something. Thanks a lot!

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-08-2011, 10:44

It's better if you refill before activating the BB option (i.e. point 8 before point 5)
The rest is all ok. You will have 200MB of data, not unlimited (it is with Wind and Vodafone).
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/italia/data_italy.html
Have a nice stay in Italy!

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim