PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default FreeGlobalSim Rate Change - Now Very Expensive! - 20-06-2007, 01:30

Posted this in an already existing thread. Thought I'd post a separate thread.

All the rates that I checked, to the countries that I am likely to visit doubled. Some that were free incoming (such as Aruba) are now no longer free incoming and about $2.00. Call forwarding is now charged. I found that out last week when I forwarded to my UM sim and was dinged $0.78 for a minuute. Nigeria and UK to the US used to be $0.33 and $0.28 they are now $0.80 and $0.71 respectively. Italy, Germany and France to the USA are now all about $1.00.

Ok, I will use up my credit and look for the next best international sim.

Edit: Free inbound is now 34 countries. It used to be 50. So, if you have this card make sure you verify befiore using it. Heck! I was going to use it in the Caribbean, including Aruba in August.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Last edited by Bossman; 20-06-2007 at 02:31..

Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 20-06-2007, 08:31

Wow! Fortunately I didn't reload my Globalsim since I was planning to use it in Germany at € 0.34/min to call Italy but now it's € 0.79/min! That's more than the double, and of course without any notice...

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim

Old
  (#3)
andy (Offline)
Prepaid Prophet

Default 20-06-2007, 10:54

Maybe he's switched to a different supplier again.

You might be able to switch your SIM account to a different reseller. It's worth asking anyway, though given the slow responses people get there ...

Old
  (#4)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 20-06-2007, 21:09

I sent an email that they should at least have informed their customers of the drastic change. Apparently, incorrect rates were posted (see response below), and it's even worse than I thought. Every single country that I checked (UK, Italy, Aruba, Spain, Germany, Nigeria) is now over $2/min to call USA. How can that be? It probably is still incorrect. I just do not see anyone using this card for outgoing calls to the USA at these rates. I guess they do not want anyone calling the US with these cards.

EDIT: Ok. Their rates are still screwed up! For example UK to US landline is $0.33, while to US mobile its $2.24. These should not be different. I guess they are still working on fixing it.

http://www.freeglobalsim.com/callrates.asp

----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer

The call rates have been changed by the supplier, so expect an upgrade in prices from all IOM providers, this maybe to the fact Callkey are trying to get back more not us.

The rates were fixed at lunchtime GMT today they were wrong briefly due to a technical problem.

Apologies for the hitch

Last edited by Bossman; 20-06-2007 at 21:22..

Old
  (#5)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 21-06-2007, 10:51

Well, apparently the rates are supposedly correct. I just do not understand how there can be a difference between rates charged to US mobiles Vs landlines. How they differentiate that I do not know. For example UK to US landlines is listed as $0.33, while UK to US mobiles is listed as $2.24. I pointed it out to Travis at freeGlobalSim and hare is his response.....

------------------------------------------------------
Dear customer,

Mobile operators including the government have started charging tax by state in the various places US and india and carribean. Why obviously to make more money, now when our prices first went up I was shocked and them going up again is ridiculous, landline is always cheaper as the routing is straight forward, mobile it seems is a different game.

I would love to explain why callkey have put charges up but I assume it is either down the the carriers charging them more or them making more money.

We are tied by the rates they give us, and at the moment we do not have any leway to make prices change.

Old
  (#6)
crossag (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Pricing - 08-07-2007, 02:07

The pricing mentioned here is not correct - there is still an error in the pricing engine on this site.

There is no differentiation between mobile and fixed to US as a destination at CallKey (we wouldn't know the difference between the two) nor is there a high price associated with calls into the US. However, when a mobile is roaming in countries where the incoming customer pays for a call (like the US) a roaming SIM would mess up that model so the local carriers impose a roaming surcharge on foriegn sims coming into the country. CallKey does not markup this surcharge in any way and it applies to ALL incoming roaming sims, CallKey or not. This is what makes calls using the roaming sim expensive when in the US calling out (but still cheaper than other foriegn carriers) but this does not effect calls coming into the US from the outside.