PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default Data plus Canadian calling (multiple SIMs) - Paris - 09-09-2014, 17:41

Hi,

Looks like our first France visit will be in May 2015. We'll be spending the prior week in London so hybrid dual-country solutions are also possible.

Here's what we likely need:
- 2 iPad SIMs, 1-2 GB each - we use these in the field so we don't want to depend on WiFi
- data SIM (so I don't need to buy hotel WiFi), 2-5 GB should do; I'd consider tethering devices to one of the iPads but it's not my favourite solution. I have a lovely TP-Link mini-router so I can use unlocked data sticks I already have (3G) or buy a local LTE one (my LTE ones don't likely support EU bands).
- 2 voice SIMs, could just be voice/text but better if they come with 200 MB or more of data. We prefer something with direct, cheap calling to Canada (we paid 6p/min in the UK last time to call home which was great).

Suggestions?

I speak French so navigating websites shouldn't be a big problem. Si vous êtes mieux en parlant français, ça ne me dérange pas si tu veux me répliquer en français.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#2)
UKSTEVE (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-09-2014, 18:27

Hi Jim,

For data I'd suggest the Three 3GB/90 day SIM card - costs around £20 on Amazon - gives you 3GB in the UK and the same in France under the data feel-at-home option.

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/phones/feel_at_home

This is for data, but it will work in both countries.

For voice I'd probably go for http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/home/en - cheap calls in the UK and back to the US (3 pence a minute) and if you register a 30 day local number in the US and France, you get a US number for people to call you on for free, as well as cheap calls in France.

Hope this assists... Steve

[size=2]Steve Gold
PO Box 1014, Sheffield S10 5YG, UK

Home mobie: Telefonica O2
Other UK mobiles: 3, Vodafone, Virgin

Foreign SIMs: Toggle (multi); Germany (Fonic); Poland (Orange PL);

Old
  (#3)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-09-2014, 20:34

Thanks Steve, that assists very much. I hope the ToggleMobile option has similar rates to Canada - I'll do some research...

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.

Old
  (#4)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 09-09-2014, 20:41

Steve, looks like Canada is the same rate to call as the US. Very promising lead. Thanks again.

Looks like Toggle will work for me in both France and the UK - I'll just need the iPad and data solutions.

Old
  (#5)
UKSTEVE (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-09-2014, 15:19

Great stuff - don't forget to register a `local' number for 30 days in France with Toggle - allows you access to cheap calls in France...

+Steve

[size=2]Steve Gold
PO Box 1014, Sheffield S10 5YG, UK

Home mobie: Telefonica O2
Other UK mobiles: 3, Vodafone, Virgin

Foreign SIMs: Toggle (multi); Germany (Fonic); Poland (Orange PL);

Old
  (#6)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 10-09-2014, 15:42

yes, make sure that you activate the french and US profile on the SIM (via the website). french profile for cheaper rates and US profile for a US phone number to get easier reachable from home.

Toggle offers 2 GB for 10 GBP in UK, but as you dont want to use tethering you might buy some other UK data SIMs in addition.

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#7)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-09-2014, 21:03

I've ordered a couple of SIMs and I can activate a US number and even test it as I'm in Montana monthly to pick up mail.

At 2 GB for 10 pounds, it might be useful to go that route on both SIMs and tether our computers independently. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old
  (#8)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 11-09-2014, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I've ordered a couple of SIMs and I can activate a US number and even test it as I'm in Montana monthly to pick up mail.

At 2 GB for 10 pounds, it might be useful to go that route on both SIMs and tether our computers independently. Thanks for the suggestion.
welcome. Make sure to deactivate the UK data option after leaving UK (via hotline or email!).
The USSD code was not sufficient for me last time.

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9

Old
  (#9)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-09-2014, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg7feq View Post
welcome. Make sure to deactivate the UK data option after leaving UK (via hotline or email!).
The USSD code was not sufficient for me last time.
Thanks for the tip!