PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
V6Matt (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Orange Internet Maxx - Connection options and alternatives? - 02-02-2012, 11:11

Hi All

I have been reading up about the Orange 3G Internet Maxx option on the Mobicarte and this seems to be the best solution for me, as I own a holiday home in France and typically only visit for 1-2 months of the year and have no landline in place as a result and would prefer to have no month by month contract.

I need something that I can access my emails on and general browsing, however I see that Internet Max is only for Phones now which isn’t a massive problem, but I was wondering if I was to buy an Ipad or similar 3g enabled tablet, whether this would then work?

Would it be correct in assuming that there is no way of masking the use of a 3g dongle in a Laptop?

Are there any other suitable alternatives? or compatible tech that is enabled/allowed for use on the Internet maxx option.

PS: I can speak French, so if some of the options include ringing an operator - not a problem.

Thanks

Matt

Old
  (#2)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-02-2012, 01:25

A friend of mine used Orange Mobicarte for his laptop and didn't have problems.

Remember that you'll have to buy a new prepaid simcard each and every time you visit France as their validity is very short If you need just a small amount of data, say 50MB, then you could consider data roaming. Otherwise you'll just have to keep on buying new simcards every time until something finally moves on the French prepaid telephony market...

Mobile internet sim cards:
INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Feel free to consult me about sim cards in the Benelux and Poland.

Old
  (#3)
scirocco (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 03-02-2012, 04:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
Remember that you'll have to buy a new prepaid simcard each and every time you visit France as their validity is very short.
The credit expires quickly, but the number remains valid for 6 months, provided you charge initially with 15 euros. If you top it up with 10 euros every 6 months it will remain valid indefinitely.

Old
  (#4)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-02-2012, 10:26

Yeah but that's €20 per year just for keeping your sim card alive. Apart from that you also need to top up when you actually are in France and want to use it.
I kind of assumed this isn't any solution - you are cheaper off buying a new sim card every time you are in France.

INT: abroadband, NL: Simyo, *bliep, BE: Colruyt Mobile, MEDIONmobile, LUX: Orange, PL: mBank Mobile,
DE: Congstar, MEDIONmobile, IE: Vodafone, CH: OK Mobil, SwissCom, SE: Telia, ES: MásMovil,
GR: Cosmote, IT: TIM, RO: Vodafone, RS: mt:s, BY: Privet, UA: Kievstar, MD: Moldcell

Old
  (#5)
V6Matt (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 05-02-2012, 18:23

Validity is probably slightly less of an issue if 6 months is the cut out, as we generally travel in April/July/October and also have a french relative that can buy an orange top up voucher if needed.

How long does the credit last for? as we could use any excess for phone calls anyway.

Old
  (#6)
kuba.g (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-02-2012, 22:37

A top up of €10 is valid for 12 days.

Old
  (#7)
scirocco (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 09-02-2012, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba.g View Post
I kind of assumed this isn't any solution - you are cheaper off buying a new sim card every time you are in France.
It's really only 10 euros for the year to keep the number alive. Only the first 10 euro recharge (after six months away) is wasted. If you do the second of the 10 euro recharges just before you return to France you can use the credit for calls, internet etc. Perfect for yearly travellers like the OP (and myself).

With a new card you are paying for the new SIM. You have to visit an Orange store, present identification, activate afresh and do all the normal waiting for 48 hours for internet access etc. Not to mention the new number.

The whole recharge process can be done from outside France using the codes on the vouchers via the #123 menu on the phone (it's free). You can also activate the Internet and Mail options at the same time, a few days before you arrive back in France so they are available immediately on arrival. And everyone can contact you on the same number as last year. Just buy two more 10 euro vouchers to cover the next 12 months, before you leave the country. Unused vouchers last a long time, a couple of years I think.

Last edited by scirocco; 09-02-2012 at 09:25..