PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

Old
  (#1)
bungsana (Offline)

Default Prepaid in Spain w/ calls to S. Korea/China - 03-03-2009, 23:27

Hello everyone.

While I had thought that I would be fairly competent with this European sim card thing due to being a cell phone geek, I have to admit that I'm kinda stumped. Here's my situation:

I will be travelling to Madrid from the US next week, and I need a cell phone while I am there. I have a quad-band GSM phone that's unlocked so I can use that w/ a pre-paid. However, while I am there, I would not only like to use the cell phone for calls in Spain, I need to make and receive calls from/to the US, China, and South Korea.

What is my best option? It looks like some of the carriers do not support South Korea nor China(?!). I will be there for only 12 days, so I do not want anything long term. Also, I will most likely receive calls and only make a small amount of outgoing calls (if possible). Also, where would I obtain the sim?

FYI - there is a small possibility that I may travel to Morocco, so take this bit of information as a side note if possible.

Please help! Thanks.

Old
  (#2)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 04-03-2009, 00:05

With simyo.es international calls cost € 0.30/min and incoming calls are free like it's the case in whole Europe (as long as you stay in your SIM card's country of origin).

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Old
  (#3)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 05-03-2009, 19:27

Happymovil.es has Korea fixed for 12c/min and mobile for 22c/min. China with them is 6c/min for both. Lebara.es has good rates for China (6c/min) but South Korea is 24c/min for landlines and much more for mobiles. You could also consider Yoigo, especially if you want cheap data! They aslo have 30c/min flat rate for international (to all but few countries).

Which carriers do not support China or South Korea? ??? Remember in the listings that "Korea" is spelt "Corea" en español (i.e. look for Corea del Sur)!

Old
  (#4)
bungsana (Offline)

Default 11-03-2009, 19:54

inquisitor & petkow,

Thank you for your responses!

In the end I ended up with Happy. They seem to offer the best rates for what I need and is working out great (my Spanish on the other hand, not so good...).

petkow, I had previously checked on the website for simyo and yoigo and I couldn't find Korea (under Corea or Corea del Sur) but again that could be because of my Spanish.

Thanks again. Now if I could only find time to punk out of work for a bit...

Old
  (#5)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 12-03-2009, 15:09

I think that is because those 2 operators do not list individual international destinations. Instead they have a flat fee of 30c/min for all international destinations. In the case of Yoigo, they just list the exceptions which are charged at 120c/min which is only for North Korea, Somalia and Cuba! Everything else in the world (both land line and fixed) is charged at 30c/min.

Old
  (#6)
Motel75 (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 12-03-2009, 17:22

Lebara is another good deal - they have apparently reduced all their international rates (when I got mine, they had very cheap calls from 20:00 to midnight, but the pricing wasn't as good internationally at other times). This seems to have changed.

Current DE: Vodafone, Netzklub; PL: Klucz, Virgin; UK: Giffgaff, Vodafone; US: T-Mobile; CA: 7-Eleven; IT: Vodafone; UA: Kyivstar; FR: Bouygues; GR: Vodafone
Former DE: Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2, Blauworld, 01051mobile, Solomo, Lycamobile, Simyo, Congstar, Fonic, Edeka Mobile, Lidl Mobile; PL: Heyah, Era, Virgin, Sami Swoi, Orange, POP, iPlus, Carrefour Mova, Telepin Mobi, Play, Lycamobile, T-Mobile; UK: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Virgin; US: T-Mobile, AT&T, Lycamobile; CZ: Vodafone, Oskar; ES: Lebara; GR: Vodafone, Wind; UA: Vodafone; IL: Orange; TR: Turkcell