View Single Post
Old
  (#34)
nz-stu (Offline)

Default In France Now - making iphone work for Data on SFR - 13-08-2010, 14:41

Hi All

I am currently in France and after 3 days of hard work I think I have the definitive answer on making an iphone work for Data using a SFR sim.

1. I do have an unlocked (not jailbreak) iphone running IOS4 (4.0.2 - but that doesnt matter really). The big thing is I can edit my APN

2. You go to any SFR store and have to do two things
A. get a SIM card - this costs 14 Euro.

Note: You seem to get 10 Euro of free calling and text with this.

B. get the data only plan

Note: You can pay by the day or get a maximum of 20 days for 24 Euro.

3. When it runs out - go and top it up again. You can also do this online (use good translator to navigate the essential bits)

Other Notes:
1. I think you need to voice minutes for anything to work (but this is part of your 14 euro SIM card)
2. Its a prepay plan so you need to ring and activate your minutes with the carrier (dial 952). Get the people in the store to do it
3. You can go to their website and register your SIM and see online minutes. It takes about 3 days for this to start working. Enter your mobile number and get them to text you the password reminder. Mine took about 2 days to turn up.

Technical Setup

1. As soon as my SIM was in my phone and they guy from the shop redeemed my top up (they call it recharger) my voice and SMS started working.

Note: This was a surprise as I thought I only had a data plan.

2. Data wouldn't work! I made these changes and got partial data.

A. go to settings
B. General
C. Network
D. Cellular Data Network
E. CHANGE THE CELLULAR DATA APN to wapsfr
Notes:
1. Leave username blank
2. leave password blank
3. Also try websfr
4. You may need to reboot your phone.

Issues

1. Google maps works
2. Browsing works
3. I still haven't got native email working (but you can obviously use the web interface)

Let me know how you get on!

Lastly..... the EASY WAY FOR THIS

Get the carrier to send you a text with the data settings. It arrives as an SMS and you open it and it automatically updates your settings.

Vodafone allows you to do this for any of their operating companies worldwide - from their website:

Hi All

I am currently in France and after 3 days of hard work I think I have the definitive answer on making an iphone work for Data using a SFR sim.

1. I do have an unlocked (not jailbreak) iphone running IOS4 (4.0.2 - but that doesnt matter really). The big thing is I can edit my APN

3. When it runs out - go and top it up again. You can also do this online (use good translator to navigate the essential bits)

Other Notes:
1. I think you need to voice minutes for anything to work (but this is part of your 14 euro SIM card)
2. Its a prepay plan so you need to ring and activate your minutes with the carrier (dial 952). Get the people in the store to do it
3. You can go to their website and register your SIM and see online minutes. It takes about 3 days for this to start working. Enter your mobile number and get them to text you the password reminder. Mine took about 2 days to turn up.

Technical Setup

1. As soon as my SIM was in my phone and they guy from the shop redeemed my top up (they call it recharger) my voice and SMS started working.

A. go to settings
B. General
C. Network
D. Cellular Data Network
Notes:
1. Leave username blank
2. leave password blank
3. Also try websfr

Issues

1. Google maps works
2. Browsing works
3. I still haven't got native email working (but you can obviously use the web interface)

Lastly..... the EASY WAY FOR THIS

Get the carrier to send you a text with the data settings. It arrives as an SMS and you open it and it automatically updates your settings.

Vodafone allows you to do this for any of their operating comapnies worldwide - from their website

Hi All

Other Notes:

Technical Setup

A. go to settings
B. General
C. Network
D. Cellular Data Network
Notes:
1. Leave username blank
2. leave password blank
3. Also try websfr

Issues

1. Google maps works
2. Browsing works

The EASY WAY FOR THIS

Vodafone allows you to do this for any of their operating companies worldwide - from their website. My french isnt good enough to find it on the SFR site. You fill in your mobile and handset tyoe and they send the settings for data, mms etc to you. Saves all this bollocks of editing APN etc!

Configure your mobile phone settings - Wireless OTA - Help - Vodafone NZ

Note: I could not get anyone at SFR to understand that this could be done!

Attached Images