View Single Post
Old
  (#10)
inquisitor (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 09-09-2011, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternem View Post
Would LIDL support data into CZ at this rate or would there be an additional data usage roaming fee in Praha?
If you have the "Handy-Internet-Flatrate" activated for data roaming within the EU the "EU Internet-Tages-Pack" will apply, which gives you 10MB for € 3 per calendar day. After consuming those 10MB internet access will be interrupted for the rest of the day. Alternatively (without the "Handy-Internet-Flatrate") you would pay some prohibitive € 5/MB.
Be aware that data roaming is quite expensive in Europe - there are other providers on the inferior eplus-network (simyo and blau) who offer EU-roaming data packs of 50MB for € 5, but that's still not a bargain.

Quote:
Another question. In comparing Fonic with Lidl, you mention that Fonic throttles after 500MB. The page you created for Lidl in English also mentions the same throttling. In fact it looks like the only different between the data betwen Fonic and Lidl is the monthly tariff of € 25 for Fonic versus € 14.99 for Lidl. Can you help clarify?
There are a couple of differences:
  • Fonic charge € 2.50/day on the dayflat-tariff, while Lidl charge just € 1.99/day so Lidl is cheaper, but Fonic have a price-cap of € 25/month for the day-flat tariff.
  • But then Lidl offer a monthly flatrate with throttling after 5GB for € 14.99/month which again is cheaper than the € 25-price cap of Fonic's dayflat. Further Fonic throttles speed on the dayflat-tariff if you exceed 500MB/day or 5GB/month (whichever applies first), while Lidl don't have a volume cap on a daily basis but only on monthly basis (5GB).
  • If you compare those monthly flatrates throttled already after exceeding 500MB ("Handy-Internet-Flatrate"), Lidl is ~€ 1 cheaper than Fonic (€ 8.99 vs. 9.95)
So Fonic is a kind of more flexible because their dayflat turns into a monthly flatrate after the tenth day of usage within a month, but on the other hand Lidl's 5GB-monthly flatrate costs the same like six days of dayflat-usage with Fonic.
In my eyes Lidl is the better choice unless you need more than 500MB/month (so the "Handy-Internet-Flatrate" won't suffice) and you can't even roughly foresee how many days you will need internet access.
However there's one unique selling point in favour of Fonic and that's the fact they have microSIMs by default (can be broken out from their regular SIMs) while Lidl don't.

Quote:
I would be interested if you could this for me. Hopefully we can make arrangements before the 10th . I want to have the € 14.99 data option, but I think I would need to activate this myself because my trip will last until October 21 in Praha. Is this correct?
I have picked up the last four SIMs from my local Lidl market today (of which two are already enroute to VladS) and I could send you one on Monday, but the bonus credit from the referral programm may take up to three weeks to be accredited. So when you receive the SIM it probably won't have enough credit (initial credit is €10) for the 5GB-flatrate, which costs € 14.99. So you could either subscribe to the 500MB-flatrate or recharge € 15 (which is the smallest top-up amount) to order the 5GB-flatrate. Another option would be that I activate the SIM before shipping (with your personal details), so you would receive those € 5 in September and would have enough credit (€15) to order the 5GB-flatrate.

terminals: Samsung: Galaxy S5 DuoS (G900FD); BLU: Win HD LTE; Nokia: 1200; Asus: Fonepad 7 ME372CG; Huawei data: E3372, Vodafone R201, K3765, E1762;
postpaid: O2 on Business XL; prepaid: DE: Aldi Talk, Lidl; UK: 3; BG: MTel, vivacom; RU: MTS; RS: MTS; UAE: du Tourist SIM; INT'L: toggle mobile
VoIP: sipgate.de (German DID); sipgate.co.uk (British DID); ukddi.com (British DID); sipcall.ch (Swiss DID); megafon.bg (Bulgarian DID); InterVoip.com

Last edited by inquisitor; 09-09-2011 at 01:45..