View Single Post
Old
  (#119)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-06-2010, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Don't forget, if you have T-Mobile US as your home carrier you can make free calls to and from the U.S. if you can access wifi anywhere in the world. You need a UMA capable phone. (All recent T-Mobile Blackberry phones have this feature along with a few others. Calling is exactly the same process as though you were connected to a local cell tower.

...mike
Only T-Mobile chip I have is the prepaid Tuyo MVNO sim chip and I don't think it has that feature. However Skype VOIP does work over the hotel wi-fi though with very good clarity..just tried their test call feature using my MacBook Pro and a bluetooth headset.

Using the Digicel Bermuda sim chip for phone calls instead of Skype because I'm away from the hotel (and their free wifi) during the day when it's convenient to call home, the rates are reasonable for calls and it's quick and easy to use (I just direct dial home). It's actually a regional sim chip because I've used it in several Digicel countries in the Caribbean with good results. I add a few dollars every couple of months to keep the sim chip live and to build up a balance for my next trip.

Call back sim chips also have their place. I used the ekit sim card in Nevis back in February/March...was cheaper than Digicel and wifi could not support good quality VOIP there. Will see if PayToo will work in Grand Cayman early next year (hopefully with better results than Bermuda).

On the PayToo convenience fee I've seen that with other carriers, but don't particularly care for it. Maybe one of the paytoomobile people can clarify for us when they do or don't charge this fee.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype