View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 28-01-2016, 04:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinks View Post

I will probably use Aldi-Talk the next time I am there. There is an Aldi very near. Three years ago, I avoided Aldi-Talk because the E-plus network was reported as congested. I guess that has changed. Is there any way I can control which network (E-plus or O2) I am on?
There is no need to avoid Eplus network. It has now the same owner than O2 and Telefónica is merging the networks. On Eplus you can use 3G roaming of O2 for free now.
There are only two cases where I'd stay away from Eplus/O2:
1.) coverage on the countryside outside of cities is not on par with Telecom.
2.) if you need ultra high speeds of > 5 Mbps for e.g. video streaming. Then LTE speeds on Telekom and Vodafone are mostly higher, but the prices for their LTE rates too.

If you have a 1800 MHz LTE device and stay in cities and 3G on 2100 MHz for populated areas, you are fine with eplus. They don't block VoIP, but of course they don't like you using it.

BTW. old Lidl SIM cards purchased before November 2015 are still valid and work on O2. But they are not distributed anymore by Lidl and are rebranded in Fonic mobile now.http://www.fonic-mobile.de.

At Aldi, it's the same game like in Lidl stores. Starter packs are not on display and have to be asked for at check out. Aldi SIMs need to be registered online like all other providers to be activated. This works pretty fast within an hour normally.