View Single Post
Old
  (#106)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 16-08-2014, 08:59

[QUOTE=UKSTEVE;45990]Thanks for the heads up - I shall grab an Aldi SIM when I'm Germany in October

I agree with the big Inquisitor that AldiTalk is in most cases the better choice over Fonic/Lidl mobile at least what their "day flats" are concerned.

- E-plus network (Aldi): Better 3G in most places compared to O2, LTE (on 1800 Mhz) open for prepaid, but very limited in cities yet. But anyway, both networks will come together in the coming year. (You had this with EE (T-Mobile/Orange) in Britain - so you know what you can expect....)

- Registration/Activation: It's much quicker and straight forward with e-plus. Even as a German I keep having problems getting Fonic and Lidl SIMs activiated/registrated and it takes hours....

- much more and flexible top-up ways: You can use e-plus vouchers for Aldi, but no O2 vouchers for Fonic/Lidl.

- day "flat": 500 MB (Fonic) vs. 1 GB (Aldi), Calender day 0-24 h (Fonic) vs. real 24 hrs (Aldi), Activation: text SMS code and wait for confirmation (Fonic) vs. hop on another APN to activate (Aldi)

- with Aldi, you can run monthly packs (for low use) and daily "flat" (for heavy use) simultanously by changing the APN. This gives much more flexibility when you have for instance a Wifi available and only need few data for a time.

---> It's a shame that Telefónica a.k.a. O2 a.k.a. Fonic bought E-plus and not the other way round. But that's how the world is, I guess.

Last edited by wolfbln; 16-08-2014 at 09:17..