View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 04-11-2010, 03:42

If staying at either of the Fairmont hotels in Bermuda, wi-fi access is free (and very speedy) for President's Club members (no charge to join). A splash page prompts you to enter your member number. Could be used with an iphone in wi-fi mode, or with a laptop or netbook (I used a MacBook Pro with this method for an extended stay at their property in Hamilton). Wi-Fi is also free at the airport, but throughput speeds are a bit slow.

If staying at a smaller property, some have at least one PC for guests with complimentary web access, usually in the lobby or a common area. Ask.

I have a Digicel Bermuda prepaid sim card I use for voice and text messages. They do offer prepaid data service for Blackberries, but it doesn't work well for other devices without a lot of tweaking (tried this unsuccessfully on an unlocked AT&T Tilt WinMo device once).

You may want to pick up a Digicel Flex sim card just for phone calls (much cheaper than AT&T roaming rates of $1.99/minute on M3 or Digicel) and for text messages. They do offer a 50 pack international SMS package for BD$5 (dial *134# to activate it). Per minute calls are 75 cents outgoing flat rate for international calls, 35 cents for local peak calls, and 25 cents for local off-peak calls. Note that Digicel is on many islands in the Caribbean, so the same sim card can be used elsewhere.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype

Last edited by GadgetKen; 04-11-2010 at 03:54..