View Single Post
Old
  (#3)
squawk1200 (Offline)
Official Member

Default 11-06-2014, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
What phone did you use? Did you have a Sprint International SIM card?
Who gets those SIMs? What are the costs involved?
Anything else interesting that we should know or want to know?
Sprint provides the SIMs for the multi-mode handsets that they sell... Years ago the CDMA providers had very few choices for a CDMA and GSM capable handsets, but I think the technology has worked itself into a more mainstream environment nowadays. I have a Google Nexus 5. While Google designed this handset to work on just about every carrier imaginable, there are other similar ones out there; Samsung has quite a few models off the top of my head... I'm guessing it's cheaper for them to manufacture a single 'jack of all trades' handset. For the most part it's all done in software so you just tell the radio chipset who it needs to be today (CDMA/LTE/GSM/HSDPAx/etc..) and viola!

I'm not sure that Sprint provides the SIMs to anyone that does not have a handset (and possibly account) on their network. I would not rush out to get one. For the most part Mobal beats their pricing... Consumer data costs are out of this world (~$15/MB for international use)... Only benefit I see with Sprint's SIM is that you can just take your phone and go run about the world. But you will pay for that privilege...