View Single Post
Old
  (#6)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 06-08-2006, 08:19

I agree that it is fraud. One arguable reason to go with roaming over a prepaid in a given country is to have the super coverage that you should get if you choose to pay roaming rates.

Let's say I am a variable rate roaming customer and my cheapest roaming solution is carrier Y. At some time during the day, I don't have coverage and go to carrier Z to make a needed call. If I read this correctly, I could no longer force a manual registration on carrier Y because carrier Z would keep forging my reregistration signal. Also imagine what will happen if both Carrier Z and Carrier Y both subscribe to this stupid service. I'll be the victim of a tug of war. At some point, my carrier might catch me on two seperate networks at the same time, determine that some sort of fraud is going on and blacklist my SIM when I am 1000km from home

I was in Ireland last week. I crossed back and forth between NI and the Republic. Let's assume that I had a SIM from the Republic and briefly went into NI for lunch and didn't disable my voicemail. Now, I return to the Republic register on my home carrier, get fraudulently reregistered to an NI carrier, and then a call goes to voicemail. I will get hit for a roundtrip roaming call to my the NI carrier and then back to voicemail.

You can set a carrier as a preferred carrier on your SIM. When I lived in the US, I had unlimited roaming on Rogers in Canada. You can do it as well as your carrier with some phones or SIM software. I'm tempted to make a blacklist of these carriers that use the roaming solution.

It is interesting that the press release quoted above refers to the Middle Eastern carrier without naming them. Clearly, they don't want to take the PE hit.