View Single Post
Old
  (#8)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-06-2014, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I understand that one of the biggest reasons to go there is to buy cheap cigarettes.
There's plenty of cheap booze and petrol too.

I remember when I first went there in 2000 which was after the euro had been introduced but before euro banknotes and coins were issued. Restaurants in Andorra were still operating dual ESP and FRF prices, but didn't use the correct conversion rate (166.386 รท 6.55957 = 25.3653), and in fact each dish on a menu had a different conversion rate. This breached the rules of the euro which had been firmly laid down by the European Central Bank and European Commission whereby the legacy currencies such as ESP and FRF had become mere non-decimal denominations of EUR. Of course, nobody could enforce these conversion rates on Andorra because it is outside the EU. Likewise it now seems that despite most of Europe being about to abolish roaming charges and bring wholesale charges down to a reasonable level, Andorra is doing its own thing and going in the other direction. Despite their cheap booze and cigarettes, it doesn't strike me as a country of fair play.