View Single Post
Old
  (#16)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 23-01-2006, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemolog
Why not? If the termination fee for roaming in the US mobile network is included in the rate paid by calling party in order to reach Manx mobile, technically this should work.
I agree, I've no idea how much it costs for the US mobile portion but it'll be only a few cents per minute as the best retail rates for incoming are well under 10c/min. Most carriers charge 22c+/min a minute to IOM mobiles (14-60c/min from UK), a big chunk of that being the IOM termination, and UK-USA is under 1c. There's plenty of profit margin. Suprising it's taken so long.

QUOTE (Andy)

I still wouldn't bet much on the 0044 call calculator - 51p to a Spanish landline from UK?
[/quote:e589736eb3]

Yes, the outgoing calls are expensive - a domestic US call is 76c/min, which is why free incoming and callback is interesting. I was billed 37c for a test call under 30 seconds within the US, which about confirms that rate (allowing for currency rounding).

QUOTE (Andy)

And in the CallKey site, the tariffs in USA are blank - try calling Falkland Islands or Vanuatu and see if they are free too?
[/quote:e589736eb3]

The Callkey tariffs on their site are for a different product, their callback service (i.e. 4c for a US domestic call, 29c/min UK mobile to US). US to Falkland shows 97c, Vanuatu 1.01 - maybe we're looking at different rate charts? (either way, that's not the CallkeyOne tariff, and it's not supposed to be).

I'm only reporting my experience - incoming calls on this card in the US are not charged for. the 0044 rate calculator shows they are not charged for, and the outgoing rate matches the rate on the rate calculator. It may be of interest to somebody, which is why I mentioned it. Like all rates, it might change.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice