View Single Post
Old
  (#10)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 12-01-2014, 07:03

Think there were only 3 calls home via Inmarsat using a total of about 15 units/minutes. Last resort when couldn't use Telna/Digicel on 3 days. Used the Isatphone Pro handheld. Smaller and lighter than the Iridium 9500 I used to use. Put on balcony table for GPS fix. Then use signal strength meter on display to figure out best position to place call. Was top floor balcony with a non-covered wooden trellis...just pointed the antenna straight up, rather than pointing to the satellite (from look angle maps think the Inmarsat bird I was using was near the Panama Canal).

Back on topic. Vast majority of calls were by Telna Mobile on Digicel(5-10 minutes a day in Nevis or St. Maarten). Usually was a 2G signal but did pick up 3g service at the SXM airport on the way back to the US last night. Curious though that Digicel was direct dial in Bermuda and Nevis but was by callback in St. Maarten. Did also pick up a brief non-blocked signal from Setel NV on St. Maarten but then became no service signal.

Saved quite a bit of money using Telna/Digicel or Inmarsat instead of the room phone on my vacation. Would rather spend the money at the beachfront bar and grille

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype