View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
petkow (Offline)
Prepaid Pioneer

Default 18-06-2010, 17:29

If I understand this correctly, I think that they are doing this to stay up with the times, and to prevent a mass exodus of their prepaid customers at the end of this summer. Many of the newer MVNO's in Spain have very low minimum commitments, and on comparison, Yoigo's €6/month is particularly high. However, many of the existing Yoigo prepaid customers are not actually aware of this. In day-to-day usage, existing customers easily go through at least €6 of calls and SMS's. However, for Yoigo customers who leave the country during the summer holidays, they may come back to a shock when they find that their credit is considerably lower due to them not using their phones enough. I think Yoigo are just scared that prepaid customers will just simply jump-ship to competitors once they realise this.

The biggest benefit that remains with Yoigo, is that they give you a rather generous 1hour of free calling per day to other Yoigo customers. (Others give much much less). Potentially this is 30 hours of free calls per month, which Yoigo think is worth at least €6! Older tariffs (that do not have the 6 Euro per month minimum) do not give you free calls to other Yoigo users, but conveniently give you the same €1.35 data tariff.

However, I have long given up on Yoigo, mainly because of the unreliable and slow connections I used to get through them, and the fact that you can no longer use the data at the same rate in a 3G modem, or when tethered to a PC.