View Single Post
Old
  (#10)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 15-12-2006, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asick
This arguments about Heyah seem to be reasonable, but it's web activation is generally a problem for a foreigner. Just imagine, I arrive in Poland and buy a Heyah SIM. Then, I'm supposed to activate it's GPRS via WWW, right? HOW? Yes, I may use my laptop and my home SIM with GPRS roaming, but... how much the hell would it cost?
Heyah's site is full with Macromedia Flash, which makes the activation to be very expensive from this point of view, also there's a problem with activation from mobile phones supporting WWW browsing (WWW but not Flash)
You may use Heyah CSD 0.60 PLN/min - I know that is expensive anyway .

You can bookmark the link to the login page http://heyah.pl/34e501b4db3c97d6952361c00c343604
in order load it directly and turn Flash off - the settings page is in HTML.

Quote:
. So, I guess Heyah would be MUCH more interesting if they allow USSD activation.
Yes I agree it's pretty stupid

Quote:
1. What's the ERA APN? I've found it to be erainternettt for Internet/GPRS and Tak Tak tariff while it's different for other tariffs. Is it normal for ERA to have a separate APN for each tariff?
That's right - Tak Tak has a separate APN.

Quote:
2. How to check the balance with ERA? It seems it's *101# but I'm not sure.
Yes, *101# is for checking the balance of the main credit
and *102# is for checking the balance of EraUnits subcredit (cheap minutes to Era, Heyah and landlines convertible to SMS to Era and Heyah)

Quote:
3. How to check the balance with Sami Swoi? *125# or *110# via their menu? I don't perfectly understand what *110# does and what for the menu is used. Also, where *105*20# does set English language, I mean in which place?
All what I say below is about both Sami Swoi and Simplus.
Well, *125# is check for expiration date only.
With balance the matter is a little bit more complicated.
"Out-of-the-box" SIMs are preactivated on the "old platform" what means that they use AoC and the balance is hidden down in the menu and sometimes on the display (permamently or during/after the call only). Not all phones are compatible. It's better to switch to the "new platform" at once via *101*11*99#. On the "new platform" you check the balance via *100#. *110# is an interactive USSD menu which gathers together all the USSD functions. However, there may be some problem with interactivity on some phone . *105*20# is a setting of English in messages returned via USSD commands (but some of them may not be translated). To set English in the voicemail prompts, you must call the voicemail number and wait for something like "For English press 2".

Quote:
4. How to activate GPRS on iPlus Simdata? Isn't it preactivated in fact?
AFAIK it is - but I must ask my brother who uses it every day.

Quote:
5. How should a foreigner buy a SIM in Poland? What is needed? Is it necessary to fill up a registration form, to show them your passport etc.?
Happily nothing - you ask, you pay, you take

My thought is that if you care most about data and not about voice calls, then Tak Tak would be OK (if you won't be able to iPlus of course).
GPRS is preactivated (even it weren't, status check is *132*2# and activation is *132*2*1#). Then you have two options: default pricing 1.44 PLN/MB (not bad but in 500kB increments ) or Omnix Max option (activation *132*7*1#) 5 MB in a month for 5 PLN and later 2 PLN/MB in 50kB increments.
Until 31st Jan your first top up >=20 PLN will be doubled (just like in Heyah). The downsides of Tak Tak vs Heyah are non-free voicemail and voice calls to Russia for 2.81 PLN vs 1.70 PLN (a little less than Travelsim).