View Single Post
Old
  (#26)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 14-03-2008, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by saren View Post
This just proves how useless phone cards are then.

They advertise Global Access Numbers nowadays, they don't even call them toll-free anymore (probably because they know their cards don't work toll free from payphones).
Well, they could hire a real toll free (=local 0 800) number for use in Poland which could be available also from payphones and even mobile phones. However, this would require some arrangment with local operators. Setting a 00-800 number is an access number for Poland is much easier, I suppose. Of course, it won't be toll free but who cares ?

Quote:
I guess I will buy a Polish SIM on arrival, and consider my Chopin phone card purchase a mistake (lesson learned).
You're right. However, the Chopin basic per minute rate 55 cents/min for Poland to Polish mobile phones (disregarding the payphone per-call surcharges 99 cents + local payphone access >15 cents per call) is better than "direct" rate payphone to Polish mobile . It's because payphones are pretty expensive here and basically for any destination a better mobile tariff can be found.

Quote:
In the UK, tmobile offers free SIMS, and Asdamobile sells sims for 3 pounds. Is there a company offering free SIMS (via the post mail) in Poland?
Yes, at of today, Orange, but sends to Polish addresses only. However, all SIM brands can be easily purchased at 5 to 30 PLN (moreless $2 to $12) and usually 90-100% of the price is available credit (100% on all cards >=20 PLN).

Quote:
I now feel more inclined to stop using phone cards alltogether and depend on local SIMS everywhere I go.
In some countries there is some beaurocracy mess when purchasing even a prepaid SIM (so far not in Poland). Are you prepared for this ?