View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 04-06-2010, 19:31

I have a Nokia e71 and I often use the OVI Maps, which are now free for my device.
Talking about Italy, where I used them most, I must say they are not so updated, but they are not bad. Some new (major) roads are not there, some speed limits are not updated, but for a free service I think it's fine. I used it also in Slovenia and Brasil, without problems.
The previous version of the program was a bit more tricky at first, but I liked it more. The current one is surely easier BTW. I don't like the new search field, it sometimes doesn't find places which are actually on the database...

It's not totally true that you pay nothing for data. When the program starts it starts a connection (without prompting to you) to connect to the AGPS (assisted GPS). It exchanges very little data (usually less than 4KB), but you pay for it (unless you have some data option). The former version of the program didn't have this problem, as far as I remember. It's a big problem here for Vodafone Italia users since they now bill 5 euros each day for the first connection, no matter how much data is downloaded. For the rest you pay nothing. There's a workaround to this problem: just put a "fake" APN in the data settings of OVI maps and you'll pay nothing. But it will take several minutes to connect to the satellites, while with AGPS it's really fast.

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim